How Do You Get "elmo" Red Icing!?!? Help

Decorating By lbsmeck Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm by sarahokie

lbsmeck Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 16

I have tried doing really red icing in the past & all have turned up pink! I wanted to do an elmo FBCT for my daughters birthday cake & the red icing problem is really holding me back. So what is the trick to getting a nice really red color??
Please help... there is a little girl who will be turning three on monday who would really like a "melmo" cake.

15 replies
lapazlady Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 16

Red and black can be a real pain. icon_confused.gif I use a product (Chef Master) called "super red", if I add enough I get a wonderful red. Don't be afraid to add enough color gel, you start off with pink, but add more, allow the fondant or gum paste to age over night and if need be, add more. You will get red. Don't give up. thumbs_up.gif

lbsmeck Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 16

so keep adding red color, i have the red gel color from wilton will that work?

282513 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 16

I usually add about half of the large wilton color gel and it works. I may even add more. It gives you the red red you want.

ranbel Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 16

I use americolor super red. But, it still takes quite a bit to get really red. As mentioned it will darken with time...
You can view elmo in my photos that americolor super red was used...

gook luck

Melnick Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 16

I don't know how to colour the icing but I thought I'd just chime in that my beautiful one year old daughter also calls him 'melmo' which we just think is the cutest thing! I just had a giggle when I saw another little girl called him 'melmo' too!

lbsmeck Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks I will check out your pics!!

lbsmeck Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 16

lol.. that IS too cute "melmo" is popular with the little ladies!! too funny!!

lbsmeck Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 16

I love yor RCT elmo.. so cute !! And love the playful sheet cake, too cute.

smbegg Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 16

For my elmo, I used Americolor Red. Once you get it as dark as possible (which is like playdough red-neon pink) add a drop of black. It will deepen the color to the elmo red. I also used that with my lady bug.

Stephanie

rockysmommy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

For my elmo, I used Americolor Red. Once you get it as dark as possible (which is like playdough red-neon pink) add a drop of black. It will deepen the color to the elmo red. I also used that with my lady bug.

Stephanie

Thanks... thumbs_up.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 16

I only use americolor and I have never had a problem getting a nice rich red

SugaredUp Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #13 of 16

Use about 1/2 to 3/4 small jar of Wilton no taste red. To that, add a tiny amount of orange (like maybe sesame seed size or a little bigger), then add Americolor super red or another super red to finish it off. Let it set for a few hours in the fridge, and it will deepen.

HTH

lbsmeck Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #14 of 16

EXCELLENT!!!

PuffCake Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 16

I am a fan of Americolor Super Red too! You just can't go wrong with it!

sarahokie Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #16 of 16

I have added powdered cherry koolaid. It will help to get it a dark pink, then it doesn't take much red food coloring. And it gives a nice flavor. I have done this in RI and fondant too. In a full batch of Michele Foster's fondant I only had to use about 20 drops of americolor super red to get a deep red color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%