Church Kitchen Passing Along Some Info

Business By bellatrixothersis Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm by Kpow

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 14

I had a tentative yes on using a church kitchen. The Deacon checked with their lawyer. If you bake out of a church kitchen for business, the church can lose their non-profit status. Just passing along the info, assuming it's the same in all states? I'm back to square one and not happy.

13 replies
rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrixothersis

I had a tentative yes on using a church kitchen. The Deacon checked with their lawyer. If you bake out of a church kitchen for business, the church can lose their non-profit status. Just passing along the info, assuming it's the same in all states? I'm back to square one and not happy.

icon_sad.gif Sorry to hear that...hope something works out for you soon...Thanks for the heads up. Don't know what it is here in GA...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 14

what state are you in?

bellatrixothersis Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 14

Good old NJ..

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 14

I'm going for this same thing in Tennessee. I'm moving slowly for various reasons. Somehow the lethargy gets thicker and thicker the closer I get to the business license and health department inspection departments. icon_biggrin.gif

But once I get some other things squared away I will definitely be walking that plank--I got my insurance. If a cake falls in my lap I'll move forward but in the meantime I'm happy treading water for a coupla more weeks.

And I have heard from other folks that our Health Department has recommended to them to get a church kitchen to use so, I'm keeping my eyes crossed. icon_biggrin.gif

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 14

If anyone has any info on OK, please? I just assumed a church kitchen would work.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:33am
post #7 of 14

I don't think that applies in Texas as I use to work for a church in Houston that rented out their HD licensed kitchen, reception hall, and sanctuary for weddings and other parties. This was their major source of income. If this didn't have that the collections and pledges would have never been enough to sustain the expenses of the place. As long as the non-profit doesn't show a profit it should be fine.

bellatrixothersis Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:20am
post #8 of 14

Actually now thinking about it, it almost doesn't make sense. I'm the one that would (hopefully) make a profit not the church. I would have a business arrangement and pay a fee for use of the kitchen. I would have my own permit, license etc.? I'll keep calling around and see what else I can come up with..Everything happens for a reason..maybe this just wasn't the place for me.

k8memphis - good luck to you.. I too am moving slowly and approaching with caution!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 14

No disrespect to the legal field but just because a lawyer said it, doens't make it true. I've encountered that a few times in my lifetime. Not saying it's not true in your state ..... but I'd continue to check it out.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:28pm
post #10 of 14

I believe that what I heard recently is that collecting rents is starting to be a bit of a sticky situation. So many churches who rent their facilities are merely asking for donations. I don't know how much of this is fear of what the IRS might do, or if there have been actions taken which is causing this fear. Obviously, many, many churches rent their facilities for many purposes.

jolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolly Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 14

there are other options i work at a whole sale bakery now and there ovens sit ideal half the day if there keeping up with orders, my boss is happy to have some else there to bake my cakes, we are woring on rent. so dont give up get more agressive and make ten pnoe calls today and just ask if they are interested in a deal of some kind. look them up online wholesale bakerys. peace dennis

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 14

In OH and in MI they recommend you try a church kitchen first. I know that I rented a church kitchen in OH and they had no issues keeping their status for taxes. It may be different state to state though.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:12pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

No disrespect to the legal field but just because a lawyer said it, doens't make it true. I've encountered that a few times in my lifetime. Not saying it's not true in your state ..... but I'd continue to check it out.

For sure--I mean consider the nearest court case--you got one set of facts and two lawyers, each with opposing views on that same set of facts.

And key phrase here is it was 'the church's lawyer' aka friend of the deacon, another church member.

Try asking the the pastor or business manager of the church next time.

And thank you, Bellatrixothersis, we'll both get there...sooner or later. : )

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 14

I was recently informed by the GA Dept. of Agriculture that church kitchens are NOT allowed in Georgia. Sadly, next to nothing is! You either have to have your own shop, find a shared commercial kitchen (which are few and far between here) or build your own commercial kitchen at home separate from your regular kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%