Piping Ri Elephant?

Decorating By mxpark Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 11:07pm by mxpark

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 6:50am
post #1 of 10

I am doing a cake for a baby shower with an elephant theme. I would like to pipe some elephants on to the cake since customer has requested no fondant. Does anyone have a tutorial on this? I seem to remember seeing something at one point but I can't remember or find anything. Any help appreciated! Thanks!

9 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:48am
post #2 of 10

I think I've seen these in the Wilton year books somewhere. Can't remember which ones though.

Maybe you could print out a colouring pic of an elephant and trace the outlines with RI and use that as a stamp if your thinking of more than one or you could try FBCT or colorflow or maybe some fondant/gumpaste elephants?

I don't remember where I packed my year books when we moved but if I'll try to remember and see if I can find the instructions in there.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 10

Are you wanting just a 2-d head or a full body?
And xstitcher is right.....there are several older Wilton yrbks ( I'm thinking like around 1980 or so) that have different elephants in them. One has a 4" high, full body; others show how to pipe the head.

mxpark Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 10

I was thinking about a full body

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 10

I would think you could find a color book pix of one. Shouldn't be too hard to find icon_smile.gif Use google and click on 'image'.
Here are a couple I found:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=color+book+elephant&ni=20&ei=utf-8&y=Search&fr=my-myy&xargs=0&pstart=1&b=41

Sorry, can't get the other one to pasteicon_sad.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:31am
post #6 of 10

Here are some little pink elephants with directions.
http://modern-baking.com/cake_decorating/mb_imp_10380/

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:39am
post #7 of 10

Have you considered making chocolate elephants using a mold?

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:53am
post #8 of 10

I found this in "The Wilton School - Decorating Cakes". I don't even know where I got this book!
LL

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:58am
post #9 of 10

Piping dimensional figures is fun. Once you have found the design you want to use, make an outline of it on the cake. To fill in, pipe in anything which would be farther back, legs, ears, eyes on far side. Keep those parts real flat to the surface of the cake. Smooth them off with a spatula. Then pipe on the things which are closer to you and let the icing build up and spread out to fill in the area. You want the edges to be flat to the cake and build up towards the center. I don't have a pic of an elephant but I do have a bear which I did on a cookie but the technique would be the same on a cake. I use buttercream for piping so it can be cut and eaten with the cake.
LL

mxpark Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much ladies!!! I think I'm going to start practicing! I have been out of caking for a few years now so I'm a bit rusty. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%