? About Indydebi's Recipe And Hr

Decorating By cakedivamommy Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 9:31pm by JanH

cakedivamommy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of 4

I always use Indydebi's recipe but would like to try it with high ratio. Do I still use the same amount of HR as I normally do with Crisco? Thank you!

3 replies
tracey1970 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 4

I do a combination of her recipe and Sugarchack's except I use a half butter/half hi-ratio mix. I've not had a problem with that. I use the same amount of hi-ratio as I would Crisco. I have heard that hi-ratio has a bit more liquid in it than regular Crisco. I don't know anything about that, but if it does, I just adjust the amount of liquid I add to the icing. I know that's not exactly what you are asking, but I hope it's close. I would use the same amount of hi-ratio as Crisco, and if you find it any more "liquidy" then add less liquid - I use hot coffee creamer as per Sugarshack's recipe, but whatever you use, just add a bit less.

Jannie92869 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 4

Tracey1970,

So you are using 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup shortening and then instead of the 1/2 cup milk .....you are using 1/2 cup hot creamer mixture?

Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

JanH Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I have heard that hi-ratio has a bit more liquid in it than regular Crisco.

All shortenings are 100% fat. Butter and margarine contain fat and water (80/20)...

http://www.crisco.com/About_Crisco/faqs.aspx

Hi-ratio shortening differs from standard (Crisco) shortening in its ability to absorb MORE liquid without breaking down.

I wouldn't substitute hi-ratio/regular shortening 1:1 because hi-ratio has a greater ratio of emulsifiers, etc. so 2/3 cup would accomplish the same results with better performance.

I'd suggest you make up a 1/2 recipe or so of buttercream using hi-ratio 1:1 and then 2/3:1 and do a taste test.

When I made my first batch of b/c with hi-ratio using my old Crisco recipe - none of my family could choke it down, it was too cloyingly rich (but not greasy).

Sort of like chugging a glass of heavy cream when you were expecting whole milk... It wasn't bad, it was just "too rich".... too much of a good thing!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%