Question About Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By MJ2008 Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm by anasasi

MJ2008 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:58am
post #1 of 7

I want to make some flowers to decorate cupcakes, but I don't really want to use fondant because it doesn't hold it's shape, but I don't want gumpaste because it tends to get too hard. Can I use modeling chocolate? I know I can do roses, but can I roll it out and do flowers that require cutters?
I'd also like to make them colorful. Can I color modeling chocolate the same way I do for fondant, or do I need to use special candy colors?
Thanks.

6 replies
MJ2008 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:51am
post #2 of 7

Does nobody really know? Maybe this will bump me up so someone who knows the answer can see it.

MJ2008 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 6:52am
post #4 of 7

Thank you. Now I only need to figure out if I color the modeling chocolate when it's a liquid or once it hardens.

xstitcher Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:01am
post #5 of 7

according to this link you would add the colour after:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Desserts-747/Chocolate-imprinted-paper.htm

Sorry I couldn't help more, I haven't worked with this medium yet icon_redface.gif

MJ2008 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 7

Sweet. Thank you. Every time I searched I just kept finding recipes for it and I already have that part. Thank you for all your help.

anasasi Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 7

Definitely not a pro here, but I hope this helps : ) I actually prefer working with modeling chocolate over fondant....not only because it tastes better but also because you can purchase the chocolate in a huge variety of colors (Wilton discs work great for this) and you generally don't have to color anything (yes, I'm lazy that way : ). I've made it in yellow, pink, periwinkle, purple, green, red, lt brown, dark brown, black (though I did add a bit of candy coloring gel to make this one darker), orange and ivory. Most of the cakes I've made recently are both covered and decorated with modeling chocolate (anything you can do with fondant you can do with the modeling chocolate once you've gotten used to it). In fact, I think the only time I use fondant is when I need a bright white since it's difficult to get the white chocolate to color to a bright white. Any additional coloring I've done either consisted of adding candy coloring gel when mixing it while still warm or painting/brushing on after drying. I don't recommend using regular food coloring or liquid coloring as it doesn't usually take as well. Also, if you're working with alot of it you'll definitely want to use plastic gloves just to keep the heat and oils from your hands from softening the chocolate (or you can keep tossing in the fridge every 10 or 15 minutes to harden it back up).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%