Why Use Simple Syrup

Decorating By doodledo Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm by doodledo

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 8

I was wondering why people put syrup on their cakes. Do you flavor it?

TIA

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 8

People use syrups for different reasons.

Some claim it keeps their cakes moist. Some people flavor the syrups with extracts or liquors.

I personally don't use syrup, I've tried it and I didn't care for the results.

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 8

When you say syrups.... do you mean like maple syrup.... like the kind you put on pancakes?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davina

When you say syrups.... do you mean like maple syrup.... like the kind you put on pancakes?

No, simple syrups are a boiled concoction of 1 part sugar, 1 part water and add flavoring. You can boil 1 Cup sugar and 1 Cup water and to that add 1/4 Cup Vanilla or whatever flavor you want. The ratios are different depending on what kind of flavoring you use and the particular flavor you want. For example anise and peppermint are very strong to begin with so you would use less. These are then brushed on a baked, cut cake to add moisture and flavor to the cake. I have had no good luck in using this method, but I know others who swear by it. Go figure! icon_rolleyes.gif Hope that helps answer your question. icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:43am
post #5 of 8

[quote="bobwonderbuns"]. I have had no good luck in using this method, but I know others who swear by it. Go figure! icon_rolleyes.gif /quote]

Wow, I thought I was the only one that didn't like simple syrup on my cakes, I'm glad to learn I'm not alone icon_wink.gif I just don't get the fascination with them icon_rolleyes.gif I mean, if you bake a moist cake to begin with, you shouldn't have to add more liquid to it, right?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:47am
post #6 of 8

[QUOTE="dkelly"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

. I have had no good luck in using this method, but I know others who swear by it. Go figure! icon_rolleyes.gif /quote]

Wow, I thought I was the only one that didn't like simple syrup on my cakes, I'm glad to learn I'm not alone icon_wink.gif I just don't get the fascination with them icon_rolleyes.gif I mean, if you bake a moist cake to begin with, you shouldn't have to add more liquid to it, right?

That's how I see it! icon_lol.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #7 of 8

The impression I have is that simple syrups are most often used on scratch baked cakes.

I bake doctored mixes, so they're very moist to begin with. Adding a syrup would generally make them mushy, not moist. If you choose to use it, use a light touch (or a spray bottle set on mist).

I will say that once I left a large WASC in the oven too long (dry, but not burned) and I didn't have the ingredients or time to re-bake. I made up some almond vanilla simple syrup, cut off the crispy bits, put syrup on each torted piece, piled on the filling, and got raves on the cake. So.....it was a great savior when it came to what would have been a ruined cake.

Be aware, too, this stuff goes funky in the fridge real fast, so only make what you need, as you need it.

Rae

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks. I just couldnt understand why you would use it. But that is a good tip for when you over bake a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%