Cake For Pets

Decorating By craftycakes Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm by Narie

craftycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 11

Someone asked me to make a cake for a cat. Anyone know a pet friendly recipie?

10 replies
sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 11

I am a veterinary technician and I can probably say that if it is made of something that the cat doesn't usually eat, then he probably won't eat any of it. The best thing to do IMO would be to make from the cat food it normally eats.
Good luck with it though - cool idea

craftycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 11

If I made something for my cat she would not eat it. If I made something and left it out by accident she would eat it!! I

I think this request is more for the enjoynment of the pet owner and not the pet.

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 11

I think that's just crazy!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 11

I have several yummy dog treat recipes, but nothing for a cat. Sorry!

Maybe if its a big cat, it will like the dog recipe??

GL

Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:58am
post #6 of 11

That is so strange. Pick up 3 cans of wet cat food. Open them up. As carefully as you can, take the food out of the cans keeping them in their round form. Put one down on a plate. Take a slightly smaller cookie cutter and cut the second cat food round. Stack. Take the third and cut with another slightly smaller cutter. Stack on top. Viola! A 3 tiered cat cake. icon_razz.gif

Seriously though, that's a tough one. Good luck figuring something out for it. Do they want a cake for the cat, but really a cake for human's to eat? Or do they want a cake for the cat to eat?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:02am
post #7 of 11

My cat likes marshmallows. He will steal Peeps if you leave them out. He would probably eat fondant if I let him! (but I won't because it would make him sick!)

You could make a 'frosting' out of a whipped shrimp/salmon mousse and pipe it onto the cat food cake. You could use freeze dried shrimp as decorations. Also, there are other kind of freeze dried cat treats made from cow, sheep, and fish.

Post a picture of your creation please!! icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:08am
post #8 of 11

Here's a recipe for salmon mousse:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1817,152162-230204,00.html

I would leave out the wine, onion, pepper, cayenne, and maybe even the lemon juice. I know onions are bad for dogs, don't know about cats. Not sure what else of those items would be bad for the cat. Some cats cannot handle cream either, so maybe just make the mouse with the samlon, ice & gelatin.

Maybe sgirvan can shed some light on that.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:41am
post #9 of 11

cats are just so sensitive when it comes to changing their foods. I found somewhere that they took a can of the cats food and sprinkled cat nip and shredded cheese on top and the cat loved it. Maybe you have a fish shaped mould that you could put the cat food into and freeze it a little then turn out onto a plate.
I would really just try to stick with a little treat for the cat and something cute for the owner!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:21pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycakes

I think this request is more for the enjoynment of the pet owner and not the pet.

Agree. I mean think about it ...... we're probably not going to start a thread on Cat-Zilla stories!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 11

I seriously doubt that a cat would eat a cake baked for it- dogs yes, but cats can be very finicky. Here's recipe a cat might enjoy- if he/she doesn't have a milk intolerance (there is some type of Milk substitute available at pet stores for cats that are milk intolerant.) Yes, pets can have serious allergies.
http://www.pamperurcat.com/S/salmon_mouse_mousse.htm I would put the gelatin and shrimp in first at the bottom of the mold so that they would show up when the mousse was unmolded.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%