Help Me Recreate This Cake

Decorating By Dustykins Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 9:03am by xstitcher

Dustykins Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 17

I bought my daughter this shirt to wear for her first birthday party next month:

I want to make her cake to match it, I've got a cake stand and the pans (I think), but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with the decorating (I'd only done one cake before, honestly). Can anyone help with suggestions on tips, etc. so I can make this not look like a two year old did it?

Thanks in advance!

16 replies
toodlesjupiter Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 17

You can make a copy of the picture... go to Staples or somewhere and make put the shirt in the copier (I've done it with a purse of my daughter's before).... and then do a transfer. That is pretty easy to do, and it will look really cute.

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 17

I can't see the cake enough....too small. It just looks like a stacked round pink cake with swags piped on it and a tiara on the top....yes?

Dustykins Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

I can't see the cake enough....too small. It just looks like a stacked round pink cake with swags piped on it and a tiara on the top....yes?

Yes, except it's candles on top, not a tiara. I couldn't make the cake any bigger, sorry.

Parable Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 17

Maybe this will help! Compliments of ShrinkPictures.com
LL

Dustykins Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 17

Ooh, thanks!!!

lainalee Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 17

I'm not sure what you want to do. icon_confused.gif Do you want to create a "picture" of the cake and cat, or do you want to make a three tier cake with the ribbon swags?

jamiekwebb Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 17

maybe a 8"x4" on the bottom and a 6"x2". Ice pink do darker pink swags and voila... looks pretty easy.. you can do it

tiawanna02 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 17

you could may a two tiered caked light pink and do pink swags going around the cake. Just remember this....Your daughter is not going to remember her 1st b-day, this is more of a memory for mom. lol icon_smile.gif

Dustykins Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainalee

I'm not sure what you want to do. icon_confused.gif Do you want to create a "picture" of the cake and cat, or do you want to make a three tier cake with the ribbon swags?

I want to do the tiered cake. I just have no idea what I'm doing!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 17

i would do a 6x2 ontop of an 10x4...

then simple swags.

don't forget the support (i would put it between layer 3/4 on the 10x4 icon_smile.gif

good luck

Ayanami Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 17

easy, peasy.

Just bake what ever size cake you want for the bottom tier times 2 so you have a good tall 4" cake. Then bake a cake 2" smaller in diameter but only once so you have a short 2" cake for the top. (ie. 8" bottom & 6" top)

Ice your cakes seperately with a light color pink BC & add your dark pink swags around each cake.

Put a few straws or dowel rods into the lower cake to support the upper cake, then just place the smaller cake ontop.

Pipe a small bead boarder around the bottom of each cake & there you go.

I think it will look very sweet when your finished.

Remember to post pics. thumbs_up.gif

Ayanami Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

i would do a 6x2 ontop of an 10x4...

Hmmmm... 10" & 6" ... That sounds better! thumbs_up.gif

Dustykins Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks guys!!!

kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 17

I'm addressing one thing no one else hasicon_smile.gif
Making swags: On a piece of thin cardboard - like a file card - trace around a round object (glass); cut then fold in 1/2. You now press that against the iced cake (make sure you can touch the cake w/o any icing coming off) and it will make a slight mark you can follow to have perfect swags.
Do you have any decorating equipment? Use a pastry bag w/a tip 16 and cover the marks. You can make stars; zigzags, shells, or straight line - whichever you want. If you don't have any equipment you can put icing in a plastic sandwich bag; cut off a tiny bit of one corner and squeeze the icing thru it. Won't be perfect but can look o.k. for someone who doesn't decorate icon_smile.gif

KatieKake Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:28pm
post #16 of 17

be sure you put in some support between the bottom tier and the second tier, even if it is only 1 layer high. Support is important!

xstitcher Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:03am
post #17 of 17

You've been given excellent advice so far and I would love to do some searches for you but I'm falling asleep (I'll try to do some for you tomorrow). I just wanted to add that it might be helpful to practice the swags on a piece of wax paper or the sides/back of your cake pan before you do them on the cake.

I did a quick search on google and found this for stacking:

You can also find other videos on youtube for making buttercream icing, even colouring your icing, filling the bags etc.

Hope this gives you something to start with.

Also just as a thought perhaps you could take a class a Wilton class at a local craft store (ie. Michaels, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore etc.) although you could find everything you want right here on CC.

Oh and before I forget welcome to CC!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%