Decorations For A Fondant Covered A Cake Board

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 5:17am by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 8

If my cake doesn't collapse I'll be surprising a friend w/ a pram cake in addition to her shower cake. Im wanting to do a little more decoration to the cake board though. Any ideas, no baby name yet icon_sad.gif

I'm planning Debbie Brown's pram cake, in pastels though.(Knowing mine is going to look nothing like that.)

http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/50_easy_party_cakes/pages/baby_in_a_pram_jpg.htm

7 replies
xstitcher Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:16am
post #2 of 8

How about rattles, booties, diaper pins or another teddy or anything else you think of when you think of newborns? Do you know if it's going to be a boy or girl? Or do they have a specific theme for the baby's room. Just some thoughts thrown out there for you.....

dandelion56602 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 8

If I had time I would. Now I'm thinking about just some piping to take up some space.

Any body have pics of piping on boards? Maybe vines, scrolls, something delicate.

Kitty484 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 8

If you haven't yet covered your board, try stamping little teddy bears or other baby designs with patchwork cutters. You can get various patchwork sets that have small teddy cutters or maybe butterflies. I measured equal intervals around the board and pressed the cutter into the paste level with the edge of the board. Easy and looked really pretty!

dandelion56602 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Kitty, I'll remember that for next time. I ended up finding a simple scroll & piped it on. Photo is in my pics.

jer702 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 8

Great Job, that cake is soooo adorable and the scroll work to your board was just perfect.

miscue Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 8

just saw your cake - looks great! It looks, dare I say it, even better than debbie browns...... or at least equal to it (i don't want to offend anyone!). But I love the colours you did with it. Well done.

dandelion56602 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:17am
post #8 of 8

Thank you guys. It was a learning experience. I must say, not so nice words were flying from my mouth at the point I flipped it over & my fondant didn't stick to my buttercream. then my fondant was starting to dry out & cracking all over the place. Then the cake started splitting b/c the fondant didn't stick in some spots and was bunching at the bottom, pulling on the cake. All I can say is hail to shortening for smoothing & that I didn't have to post in the disaster forum! I like Debbie Brown's colors, but I wanted it to blend w/ the other cake & colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%