Can I Use....

Decorating By Leahmaria7981 Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 4:48pm by Wing-Ding

Leahmaria7981 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 6

I made a double layer 11x15 last night and it's like an 1/8th of an inch too tall for the box. The writing touches the top of the box. Could I put a piece of saran wrap over the top to keep the writing from sticking to the top of the box, or will it stick to the saran wrap? Any suggestions if not?

5 replies
lindambc Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 6

When that happens I just close the box as far as I can without touching the cake, then I just tape the sides so the lid doesn't move. Does your cake have to be covered completely?

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 6

If it is crusted BC, you'll probably be ok. I would worry about it smooshing the writing and looking funny though, in addition to it sticking to the Saran Wrap.

KHalstead Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 6

or you can cut the lid completely off and then tape some lollipop sticks in all 4 corners of the box and then put the lid on top of that, it'll raise it up a couple extra inches.

gracecakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 6

Well, you could use the old school tooth pics, to life the saran wrap up a bit, but that will prob ruin the cake.
The other thing I though of is if you cut the top of the box off, and staple or tape stiff paper or pieces cut from another box on the inside of the four walls to extend the height of the box. Once it is extended, you obviously can't close the box, but you can neatly tape saran wrap over the top. I think they would rather have a neat cake then a neat packaging.
Good luck!

Wing-Ding Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 6

I love KHalstead's suggestion! Although, if available, I would use cut dowels. They won't break or bend and you can clean them for future use. Lollipop sticks probably won't bend or break though, for what you are doing. Great suggestion KH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%