Help With Color Flow....

Decorating By Mom23girls Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm by Mom23girls

Mom23girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23girls Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 12

I am going to attempt my first color flow this weekend - after googling I am uncertain of a few things...
*Can I put the color flow directly on a cake frosted in BC once it (the transfer) is dry? Does it need to be a crusting buttercream?( I have read conflicting responses to this)
*The color flow I am attempting is needed for a cake in 3 weeks....can I store it until then (pending it comes out good enough)?

Does anyone have any tips for a newbie? I have made a couple of cakes with MMF, and that is the extent of my experience! Thanks so much!!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 12

.........*Can I put the color flow directly on a cake frosted in BC once it (the transfer) is dry? Does it need to be a crusting buttercream?........

Yes it can be put directly on a b'c'd cake when you are totally sure it is totally dry. Some people prefer to keep the wax paper on the back; others to raise it up off the cake on mini sugar cubes thinking it will melt into a puddle because of the erroneous information that royal can't come in contact w/any grease.
........needed for a cake in 3 weeks....can I store it until then.....
Sure canicon_smile.gif Just keep it dry and out of the sun.

Mom23girls Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks Kakeladi!! I appreciate the knowledge icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 12

I have to weigh in here. I have used color flow a fair bit. I have made my pieces weeks in advance and as long as you wait until they are dry to store them and you store them covered (for dust) and out of light (for fading colors), they'll be fine. However, I did a test run on some color flow birds. I put them on a buttercream iced cake and covered the cake, kept at room temp. We ate the cake around the birds over the course of the next couple of days, but I watched the birds as time passed. Within a couple of days, the birds really went soft and all wobbly. When I went to take them off the cake, they crumbled at the slightest touch. So from personal experience, I would say make the color flow pieces as far in advance as you like, but I wouldn't put them on the cake until about a few hours before you deliver/need the cake. My color flow pieces have lasted just fine on a buttercream cake for maybe a day. They will break down on a buttercream cake - not right away, but it will happen. I watched it myself just to see.

Mom23girls Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks Tracey - good to know!

I attempted my first color flow this weekend....it was not a success...
using royal icing recipe with meringue powder. Used a number one tip, which seemed pretty thin. When the icing dried I tried to take it off the paper and it broke. It seemed very light and airy, did I use too much meringue powder? Thanks!! (recipe called for 5 Tbsp with 1lb confectioners sugar)

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 12

Hi Mom23girls...I love Color Flow technique! I have had some winning successes with it, and some disappointing failures...finding out I can't control the weather, which impacts how the sugar art dries and stays for you (well, me!). One of my favorite tools in this process is a small paint brush, used only for food. It's very effective for smoothing out the "paint" evenly, which ensures drying completely.

I have used the coconut paper as a liner, but the moisture made a few buckles & bumps. I want to try rice paper and edible pens for outlining next and see what happens.

Show what you have made, when you are satisfied. I've a couple of examples in my gallery, if you'd like to see them. I couldn't have done the Spiderman without a paint brush...too many small pockets to fill!!

Best of luck, once you get your groove, you'll enjoy it! icon_biggrin.gif

Mom23girls Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks Homemade_Goodies! I really love the way the color flow pics I've seen have turned out (Your Snow White was one I saw when I searched!) I'm just not sure if my recipe was right...it seemed so light and airy....
Love you Spider man and your Snow White - quite a talent!!

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 12

For those that do this...
What is the color flow piece like when the cake is cut? ...does it break or crumble or does it soften up and slice w/ the knife?

Homemade-Goodies Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 12

Well, Spiderman got gobbled up by the boys before the cake was cut! haha But usually it just snaps a bit, and if left long enough it does soften a bit. I've never had it 'melt'.

Mom23girls, advice on the royal icing is don't left a lot of air into the mix, or it will crumble for sure. Think of sea foam candy, really airy. If you do let it get too airy, then you'll want to let it set for a while (covered with damp towel).

I had to stop following a recipe...and just add the water slowly by tsp or tbsp until it's the right consistancy. I kept thinking the recipe would be right of course, but it wasn't working for me.

Also be sure to check out the projects done by cakehelp, and her website....she is an artist with it!!! thumbs_up.gif

Mom23girls Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 12

Yup - that's what I had, sea foam candy, lol!! I will try the recipe again, but reduce the amount of meringue. And I'll make sure to mix it much slower.... and if it still doesn't work, would a chocolate transfer be any easier? (I have never attempted any of these before - only used MMF 2 times before!)

Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 12

I haven't tried chocolate transfers...I can't wait actually, just haven't done it yet. If you do, let me know what you think??? I love the effect of the choc transfers!!

Mom23girls Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 12

Ok - re-piped last night, and will attempt the color fill tonight. Used a different recipe and made sure to blend on low - consistency seems MUCH better! I will post a pic when it's done.... crossing my fingers, lol!

I'm sure I will try the chocolate transfer sometime soon, and will let you know how it goes!

I have only made b-day cakes for my own daughters (last year only) so I am really new to all this. *** I think we may be eating a lot of cake in the near future, lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%