Mmf...more Error Then Trail...

Baking By whisperingmadcow Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm by sweetjan

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 8

So I tried this recipe this morning...

http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

Disaster! icon_surprised.gif

I have read a bunch on mmf so I know making it can be something of a trail and error process but I think I made more errors then anything today!

I sifted everything, had 1# sugar in the bowl added the melted marshmallows, mixed...

Then I went to add the second 1# of sugar. I didn't even get all the sugar into the mix! I am not every sure what I am going for here, but it seemed gritty and tough. Did I put too much powedered sugar in? I probablly didn't even get 1/2 of the second amount of sugar mixed in...
After the first mix, should I have mixed it by hand? I tried to do it all in the KA with a padle attachement (couldn't find a dough hook)

If anyone has any advice on this let me know. The only thing I have to go on is the wilton fondant and it sucks thumbsdown.gif ! I wanted a better tasting fondant.

Thank you in advance! icon_razz.gif

7 replies
whisperingmadcow Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 8

anyone?

CrunchyCrabLegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrunchyCrabLegs Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 8

This happened to me yesterday....I believe what the problem is, is that the marshmallows were cooked too long.
I put the whole bag of mashmallows in the bowl, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of water...and then I microwave for 30 seconds, take it out, stir really really good each time. It shouldn't take anymore then 3 times in the microwave at 30 seconds each...the last 30 second interval the marshmallows will be really creamy and just keep stirring stirring stirring until no more lumps. Hope that helps. icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 8

I've been experimenting with MMF alot lately, I'm trying to find a flavor and texture combo I really like. I haven't nailed it yet, but I think I'm getting close.

Anyway for a HALF-BATCH (which I do for all my test runs), I microwave the mini marshmallows on 50% power for 45 seconds. I read that they should still look lumpy, not completely melted down after this step...when you stir, that's when they should turn to a thick liquid. So that's how I do it.
After a good stir, I add 2 cups of powdered sugar, one at a time, mixing with a metal spoon after each one. Then I add a 1/2 cup more and stir, and one last 1/2 cup which I use to knead right in the bowl with one hand (so 3 cups total). When it's no longer sticky, I knead the blob with two Crisco laced hands right over my sink. (I wouldn't be able to do it this way with a full batch) The texture is always great.

For a full batch I would only use 6 cups of PS then, not 8 (2lbs.)

By the way, I never sift. Also, I made one half-batch with alot of white chocolate added in, and I only needed 2-1/2 cups of PS.

whisperingmadcow Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 8

So you mix by hand?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 8

I do, but I've only been making half batches. It may not be as easy for a full batch, and certainly not for a double batch.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 8

This is how I make MMF. It's easy and not very messy at all.

Use a large pyrex bowl (not too large for your microwave). Grease the bowl with Crisco. Pour a 16oz bag of Marshmallows into the bowl, then add 2 Tbls of water and 2 tsps of flavoring (vanilla or whatever). Microwave on high for 60 seconds, then stir with a greased wooden spoon. Microwave 30 seconds more if needed, to melt all the MMs. Now place the bowl onto a folded towel on your countertop. Pour in 1/2 of a 2 lb bag of sifted confectioner's sugar and stir with the wooden spoon. Once this is mixed in then put the spoon aside and rub a little Crisco onto your hands. Pour in the other 1/2 of sifted conf. sugar and begin mixing with your hands. If it starts to stick to your hands just use a little more Crisco. Once a ball forms knead it a few times, then put the whole ball onto a piece of plastic wrap and wrap it up nice and snug, with no air. Put the whole thing into a ziplock bag and press out the air and seal. Now let it rest for a couple of hours or overnight. The whole process from start to finish takes only a few minutes. It took me longer to sift the sugar!

When you're ready to roll out the fondant use cornstarch, not conf. sugar. The constarch is SO much better, makes the fondant nice and easy to work with and it cleans up with a soft pastry brush once it's on the cake. If the fondant is a little stiff put it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so, it'll soften right up. Also, make sure you use fresh marshmallows. If the marshmallows are stale you'll get a goopy mess.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 8

Don't quote me because I'm not an expert. But I've made quite a few batches, and I've read several different recipes on MMF. I think "they"
say that this is strictly a mix by hand recipe; the electric mixer just isn't going to let the PS absorb into the marshmallows the way it needs. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%