How Many Cakes Do You Make In 1 Week?

Business By miscue Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm by cakesweetiecake

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:34am
post #1 of 35

Just out of curiousity, of those who are already in business, how many cakes do you think you would make in 1 week?

Like, how many can you fit in?

It takes alot of energy to make a cake, so just wondered how stressful it is.

34 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 35

There will be a variety of answers on this. Are they working from a home oven or a commercial oven? Single man operation or staff of 15 or 20? Birthday cakes (which can be just one cake) or wedding cakes (which can be 5 or 6 cakes, stacked up)?

I think one CC'er measures it by number of servings booked and not number of cakes (an 8" round for a birthday is way different than a 16" round for a wedding tier .... but they are both "a" cake).

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 35

Like Indydebi said, it's all it the cake (orders!). I am a single-person operation, and work from home so have to juggle family around my work environment (which also makes a difference). My kids are older though, so tend to take care of themselves more.

During wedding season (May to October here), I tend to take about 3 typical size weddings per week (about 100 to 150 servings each). If they are bigger or smaller, I adjust what I take that week. If I can, I will squeeze in extra orders (birthday, anniversary, etc.) if it fits into the schedule.

During the winter months, the orders fluctuate, but I have done up to about 10 small birthday cakes in a week. If you can get the orders in early (I require about a week's notice), so that you can plan your schedule, it is not stressful.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 35

slow months 25 a week

busy season 50 with some wedding cakes sprinkled in...

i work 3 days a week

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 35

Well, I have a full time job, have two young children who play sports, and am very active at church. With my schedule I can only take on 5-6 TOPS per weekend...and those are not wedding cakes. If I have a wedding cake, I try to not take more than 1-2 other cakes. So far, I haven't had to do more than 1 wedding cake in a weekend, but I have a two-wedding-weekend coming up in May. We'll see how that goes.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 35

I work full time Mon-Wed...have a 10 yr. old, 6 yr. old, and 5 yr. old and work from my home with ONE stinky oven that requires I watch the cakes very carefully (it bakees unevenly)...when I get a wedding cake (unless it's a small one for 20 people or something) I block out Thur. Fri, and Saturday for that cake...other than that I take anywhere from 1-7 cake orders a week..and that's all relative too because if 2 of them are carved cakes or really involved I'll generally take on less cakes with those.

shorty56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorty56 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 35

i limit it to 700-800 servings a week, which averages out to 4-5 wedding cakes. i rarely do small orders they aren't worth my time. i have a small shop, no employees but commercial equipment. no kids either.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 35

We do 2,000 servings of cake per weekend plus about $4,000 worth of additional pastries. I have a kitchen staff of 4. So that can be 7 cakes or it can be 200.

Then Monday through Thursday we usually do another 10-15 cakes plus about $4,000 worth of pastry...

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 35

Last weeke - not enough, and this week - too many.

It varies. I won't do small orders. The smallest cake I'll do is an 8".

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 35

I do on average of 6-7 cakes a week..Some small ...some big.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #11 of 35

Most people need a cake on Saturday or Sunday (I think so, anyway. If I'm wrong let me know). Provided that this is true, does that mean that you are making 6-7 cakes all in the last few days of the week? I assume that you would freeze the cakes and make the icing early in the week and decorate on Friday? Just curious. I have a hard time doing one cake a weekend! LOL I don't know how you ladies do it!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 35

Most of my cakes are for the weekend...but many of my customers like to pick them up the day before as they are too busy the day of the party..Understandable! Mondays I am usually making fondant pieces or embellishments that need to dry.I bake on Tuesdays and wrap and refridgerate the cakes in my extra fridge.I make icing on Wednesdays and usually decorate Thursdays and Friday mornings and then most go out friday afternoon or Saturday morning.Sometimes if a cake is for Sunday I will decorate on Saturday but I try to save the weekend for my hubby and kids.I work my pickups so that the come before 12 noon so that I am not waiting around all day for people to show up.So..in actuality I am working Fulltime as I am starting on a Monday and working through to friday.It may not be a 8 hour day but when you add in all the car pooling....kids activities,appointments,grocery shopping and all the things a SAHM does..it is enough..

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 35

[quote=" I have a hard time doing one cake a weekend! LOL I don't know how you ladies do it![/quote]

I second that one.

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 35

I do 6-10 decorated cakes a week. But I also do traditional cakes coconut, chocolate, italian cream, lemon cheese, red velvet etc. and pies, cupcakes, candies, pound cakes. I am a licensed business but it is only me. Most weeks I have to turn down work. icon_surprised.gif I hate to do that but there is only so much one person can do. I am very thankful that I am that busy but it can be overwhelming at times. icon_cry.gif

And that is my day job...... I also have 2 boys, 9 and 11, a husband and 3 dogs that most weeks are overlooked. I love what I do but it is very hard work. icon_rolleyes.gif

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Most of my cakes are for the weekend...but many of my customers like to pick them up the day before as they are too busy the day of the party..Understandable! Mondays I am usually making fondant pieces or embellishments that need to dry.I bake on Tuesdays and wrap and refridgerate the cakes in my extra fridge.I make icing on Wednesdays and usually decorate Thursdays and Friday mornings and then most go out friday afternoon or Saturday morning.Sometimes if a cake is for Sunday I will decorate on Saturday but I try to save the weekend for my hubby and kids.I work my pickups so that the come before 12 noon so that I am not waiting around all day for people to show up.So..in actuality I am working Fulltime as I am starting on a Monday and working through to friday.It may not be a 8 hour day but when you add in all the car pooling....kids activities,appointments,grocery shopping and all the things a SAHM does..it is enough..

Pretty much the same here. I usually only take a few cakes a week right now though. I am usually baking and working on fondant details (if needed) Monday thru Wednesday, decorating Thursday and Friday. I always make my icing the morning I am decorating the cake. Customers usually pick up Friday afternoon or Sat morning (I too have customers pick up before noon). If I have a big wedding cake (which seems to be normal anymore to have 300 servings), I usually will only take 1 or 2 other small cakes that week. This, along with a 4 and 2 yr old keeps me busy enough! icon_biggrin.gif

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:43am
post #16 of 35

I just don't know how you do it! And when do you go and buy all your ingredients and supplies!

I have a full time job, which is on a two week rotating roster, so one week I only have 1 day off, then the next week I have 3 days off, but not in a row - and I just am really struggling to find the time to make a friends birthday cake. Not to mention, getting organised and going to the cake dec store, and the cost all in one week or whatever it may be.....

I admire the people that can stay up late to finish cakes, because I don't think I really have that in me. icon_sad.gif

It's so interesting to hear the different ways to do it all - most of you really are superwomen!!!!! I haven't even got kids - I can't even imagine.

marmalade1687 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:13pm
post #17 of 35

I TRY to take Monday off to get family stuff done - groceries, cleaning, etc., but I usually end up baking and doing small stuff that day too, Tuesday is also baking day and advance work, Wednesday through Friday is decorating. Most cake orders are for the weekend, so they fit into this schedule...when I get an order that is for mid-week, I have to jiggle the week a bit! Saturdays and Sundays I deliver any wedding cakes that I have, and Sundays (once a month) I hold wedding consultations.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:22pm
post #18 of 35

I am a one person operation (although my DH does my accounting and contracts for me) During non wedding season, I do 8-10 celebration cakes and 1-2 weddings a week. During wedding season, I do 6-7 weddings a week, 2-3 grooms cakes and only celebration cakes for my regulars. (I know what they want, they know what I have and I dont have to spend a lot of time with the 20 questions..) A lot also depends on how big the cakes are...if I have a lot of 100 person weddings, I may do more, but if I have a few 300 person weddings, I do less, so it does depend on the size of the wedding. This is for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I rarely have any cakes other days. I also do cookies and cupcakes I dont sleep from April to October.

marmalade1687 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I dont sleep from April to October.

LOL!! icon_lol.gif I forgot about that part of the business...! icon_lol.gif

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:36pm
post #20 of 35

While we are on this subject - what type of ovens do you all use? For those that bake from a home lic. kitchen?

jenbenjr Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 35

I just have a regular oven/stove. We just finished our basement this past winter and I added another full kitchen downstairs...so I have two ovens now. I love it! It saves so much time.

marmalade1687 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:46pm
post #22 of 35

Just a regular oven - poor thing...it's on it's third element (thank goodness my DH is handy and can replace it quickly!), but it keeps on going! I have some money put away for an emergency replacement just in case though! I have three fridges though...

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I dont sleep from April to October.

LOL!! icon_lol.gif I forgot about that part of the business...! icon_lol.gif

This year I never got a Quiet Period either. I haven't had a day off since Christmas....(I have consultations every Sunday and this is Consultation time of year...so I have them from 10 AM to 7 PM, back to back...) I also have them on Monday and Tuesday evenings. I TRY to take Wednesday off, but I just always seem to have one more bow to make or one more doodad to make before I do my torting and filling on Thursdays...

I have two convection ovens, but my Deluxe gets installed the first week of March! I can't wait!

I want to know how many MIXERS everyone has!
(I have four kitchenaids but want to get a big 20 quart...just dont know what to get yet, as they so EXPENSIVE)

jenbenjr Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:55pm
post #24 of 35

LOL....I have 3 Kitchenaids. Two that I use, one that I have sitting in my kitchen downstairs just to look pretty. icon_biggrin.gif I'm sure someday I will be forced to use it though! LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:58pm
post #25 of 35

lorie, find a used restaurant equipment place and tell them you're in the market for a used one ... have them watch for one for you. If you have any kitchen designers around, put a bug in their ear, too. They are always coming up with used equipment that is in great shape, but they're upgrading a restaurant who is putting all new equipment in, so they have all of this used equipment on hand.

I have a 20 qt and it's SO much better than a small mixer! I only wish I had a 2nd or 3rd bowl for when I'm mixing multiple flavors of batter.

marmalade1687 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm
post #26 of 35

OMG Loriesmom!! You need a break before April starts!! icon_eek.gif I just upped my load this year to three weddings a weekend because things were getting quiet icon_rolleyes.gif, but I look at your schedule and I feel sort of lazy!! icon_lol.gif I was doing bi-weekly consultations from December to mid-February, but things have slowed down now - my year is filling up, so not as many consultations (they will start up again soon for 2010!). I also volunteer as a Girl Guide leader, so add weekly meetings, planning and special events like camps to the mix, and my schedule is pretty full!

I have two mixers, one Kitchenaid, and one 7qt. Cuisinart - LOVE it!! It does what I need for now!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #27 of 35

One 5 qt. KA mixer with two bowls and two paddles. I do most of my batter in a large bowl with a good hand mixer.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #28 of 35

It's just me, but we're getting ready to open a new shop so I can expand.

I only do larger celebration cakes because my pricing is pretty high. I focus on weddings, and it depends on the size of the wedding, but generally 2-4 weddings per weekend.

The most wedding servings I think I've done is TWO 300-serving weddings BOTH on Sat at opposite ends of the county, then a 150-sv wedding on Sunday. Plus a houseful of company and 6 kids here. THAT was a long weekend.

I'm also getting a lot faster at decorating, and with a new convection oven, I should spend a lot less time baking, so I'll be able to take on more this year.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #29 of 35

Okay, my experience is different because I have a storefront with 2200 sq feet, and we are busting at the seams. There is a customer service area, a bridal showroom, a decorating room, kitchen, storage room, gumpaste and airbrush room, office, and two restrooms.

I have 6 full time employees and 6 part time. We use 3 kitchen aids, 10 qt, 20qt, 30qt, 60qt, and 80qt Hobart mixers. We use 4 commercial convection ovens, have a reach-in cooler, reach-in freezer, 2 walk-in coolers, and a refridgerated display case.

Two decorators do the majority of the wedding cakes, about 550 a year. We do 50 - 60 custom cakes a week and 60 - 70 cakes for walk-in business a week. A couple of the girls work one or two days a week. One of the full-time is strictly office and customer service help, one of the part-timers is a dishwasher. So, we hustle and get alot done, but that is our only job!!

BTW, did I mention that I work 50 - 70 hours a week!! icon_eek.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:27am
post #30 of 35

Oh wow...I too don't know how everyone juggles all those cakes AND family life!! I am new to decorating so it still takes me 10 plus hours on one cake - and sadly that's even for a single tier!

I am a SAHM to one son who should be starting school this year and really want to start doing this as a new career but still find it's taking me too long. Still working out the bugs of fondant not being right, not being able to get the colours I want, cakes being too dry by the time I'm done decorating (since it takes me so dang long LOL) and the list goes on.

I'm getting a bit discouraged thinking it'll never get faster or easier but seeing how so many of you are single person operations and yet can do so many gives me some glimmer of hope.

Not to sidetrack but how far in advance does everyone bake their cakes if you are doing so many for the same day? I read in another post somewhere that if you put the cakes in the fridge it will dry them out faster...is that true?

TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%