Cake Sampling

Business By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm by Deb_

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:47am
post #1 of 13

How does cake sampling work? I know on average for a wedding cake sampling only about three people show up(BTB,GTB,MOB). how do you make a small batch of cake , fillings, and icing for that small amount of people? icon_confused.gif

Does anyone have any recipes or advice they can give me? Any info would be nice. icon_smile.gif

12 replies
dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:08am
post #2 of 13

I am interested in learning about this as well. I have an idea to do a cake testing for my friends and I was kind of imagining it being like a wine tasting. What do you give them in between samples to cleanse their palate?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 13

Some people serve water, some coffee, some pop. It's really just up to you how much money you want to spend on someone who may or may not book with you. =o)

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 13

Click on the search option just above this thread and type in "tasting". You'll likely find all the info you need. I'd post all the links, but I'm not able to do all that from my work computer.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 13

I am starting out and I wonder about managing taste testing...if you offer many different fillings, flavors and icing..well it seems daunting!

Do you freeze a small cake and all the different fixins? If so, how long will this stay???

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 13

I offer three basic flavors (chocolate, yellow and almond) and one other of my choice, usually a fruit flavor. I just make extra of whatever I'm making for weddings that week.

The advice to do a search on here for the topic is good, you'll get a lot of results.

One thingI'd recommend id to make suret hat you tell people they can only bring whatever number of people you determine. I have people who want to bring both sets of parents, the bridal party, etc. I had one girl yesterday who called and said "I know it says on your website that I should only bring me and my fiance, but I'm going to have 5 extra people, so there will be 6 total." icon_confused.gif Uh, no...I told her that was too many people and she could bring three people, tops, including herself.

You'd be surprised how many people see wedding tastings as free meals for the family.

littlesweetpea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesweetpea Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 13

I do tastings a bit differently. I own a bakery shop & do the baking. It's easier for me(timewise), & ends up more comfortable for the couple. I offer 3 cake flavors of their choice(I make every flavor imaginable), 3 fillings, & 3 frostings. Cakes are made in cupcake form(small), & they get 3 of each. When they get home, they can cut them up to serve whomever wants to taste. They can also try each cake flavor with the different fillings & frostings to come up with their favorite combinations. Then they can book a sit down appointment with me to fill out the contract....I've been doing it this way for 10+yrs, & every couple has loved this idea.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 13

I either use what I have made from my orders that week or I bake single tiers, cut and freeze using my vacuum sealer, and I pull them out as I need them.

I offer 3 cake samples, usually chocolate, white, and lemon or some other flavor, 3 icings, and about 4 to 5 fillings.

When I make my icings and fillings I always fill an ice cube tray with the different flavors and freeze them wrapped well. When I have tastings, I pull out the cube trays, pop out the flavors I need and they defrost in a matter of 30 - 45 min.

It's funny to hear you guys tell the stories of people wanting to bring a bunch of family members with them to the tasting. I've never had that happen, it's always been just the bride and groom. I don't know what I'd say if they showed up with 4 or 5 others in tow.

I don't take special requests for my tastings. The point of the tasting is for them to decide if they like my style of baking, i.e. flavor, moistness, texture etc. If they want a specific flavor combo, then they order a 6" cake and pay for it.

I offer a choice of coffee, tea, juice, milk, or water.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #9 of 13

If I have many tastings booked in one day...like 5 or more appointments...I'll will offer more flavors. If it's just a couple...I'll offer vanilla and chocolate with a few different fillings.

i also put a limit of 3 people...but I still only provide enough cake for one sample plate.

Before I honed my tastings...I used to cut the samples at the table in front the client....so they could pick and choose. Well I walked away and one groom like my cake so much that he ate my entire 6" cake! It was just a one layer w/ no filling...but still! It wasn't an all you can eat buffet of cake. The loser didn't even book because I was "too expensive" and he drove off in a nice black mercedes at that....ugh.

Anyway...I went off track. My point is set you rules and procedures now because people will try to walk all over you for some free cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:38am
post #10 of 13

I know I've told this story before, but it's a good one.

I once had a bride show up for her tasting. Also along for the free food were the MOB, Maid of Honor, MOG, and the 8 children from her home day care.

I sent her packin'. Didn't get past the foyer.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:00am
post #11 of 13

Agree there are lots of threads with very good info on this topic.

Briefly, I bake once for every 9 sampling appts. I bake a choc, white and 3rd flavor (red velv or carrot), 8" square. I cut it in 9 squares. These fit in a gallon size zip lock. When I have a sampling, I pull one square of each flavor and thaw (takes about 20 minutes). Place on tray with dollops of various icing and filling. Icings I usually have already made, so I just scoop a Tbsp out. My fillings are all sleeve fillings and I have a variety of these in my 'frig, so I squeeze out a Tbsp of each.

I don't make whole cakes. I dont' lay out the good china. It's a sampling. It's free. It's to SAMPLE the cakes. It's to determine if they like my baking. Did I mention it's free?

Once the cakes are thawed, it takes me less than 10 minutes to set up for a sampling.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 13

Leahs, that is too funny about 8 kids from a daycare showing up for cake! I thought it was bad when people brought their entire families, but to bring a bunch of random kids is the worst!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Leahs, that is too funny about 8 kids from a daycare showing up for cake! I thought it was bad when people brought their entire families, but to bring a bunch of random kids is the worst!

These people are the same type you see at Sam's club or BJ's going around to all the free food samples, I swear they eat lunch for free at these places. Hey, maybe they were going to Leahs for dessert icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%