What Should I Do Now?!?!

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 3:43am by Davina_Alloway

ajmccray Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I'm making my first loopy bow for a cake this weekend. It was to be colored black. At first I attempted to do a 50/50 MMF/gumpaste mix but kept getting hard balls in my mix (I guess from the MMF being a little dry) so I just used the premade Wilton gumpaste and colored it black. I've made the loops, but now that I look at it, it isn't black--it's gray!!! I don't know if there's a way for me to "paint" more black on (I don't have an airbrush) The cake itself will be ivory buttercream with black accents. It's a donated cake so if I don't get the loopy bow on, it will be fine but I just wanted to try my hand at it. Anyone have any suggestions? I do have some silver luster dust but I'm not sure how that would look on gray, with no other silver on the cake. Thanks for your help!

7 replies
jenncowin Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 8

Mix some of your black gel color with vodka and paint the bow. The alcohol will make it dry faster. They also make a black petal dust if you have access to it and you can brush it on dry or wet by making a paint out of it with the vodka as well.

rockytop Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 8

You might be able to spray the black on using arasol cans that you cane purchase at wally . I believe it is called Color Mist, I used them on my turkey cake . Hope this helps.

i_heart_pastry Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 8

I would do as Jen suggests and paint it with black gel and vodka. Be sure to use a quality sable brush, it will make all the difference!

tracey1970 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 8

I'd "third" the painting method. I just made a fondant plaque of Optimus Prime last weekend and some of that character is black. I mixed black gel colour and some vodka - got a great black colour. I'd go easy on a bow, though, as it's a bit more delicate than what I was painting. You don't want the fondant to go all goopy. You should be fine as long as you go carefully.

ajmccray Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 8

Ok, so should I wait for them to dry, or should I paint them tonight?

tracey1970 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #7 of 8

I'd maybe wait. From my experience, when I paint on a gel/vodka mixture, it takes a few days to dry really well. What I painted last weekend is still a bit "tacky" in places. So maybe wait overnight, if you have time, before putting on more colour. I don't know that it would make a difference, but I am a "better safe than sorry" person...

Davina_Alloway Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #8 of 8

I've actually had great luck with the color mist myself. I used it to color the red string licorice. I used it on the spider in my pictures. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%