What Should I Do Now?!?!

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 3:43am by Davina_Alloway

ajmccray  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I'm making my first loopy bow for a cake this weekend. It was to be colored black. At first I attempted to do a 50/50 MMF/gumpaste mix but kept getting hard balls in my mix (I guess from the MMF being a little dry) so I just used the premade Wilton gumpaste and colored it black. I've made the loops, but now that I look at it, it isn't black--it's gray!!! I don't know if there's a way for me to "paint" more black on (I don't have an airbrush) The cake itself will be ivory buttercream with black accents. It's a donated cake so if I don't get the loopy bow on, it will be fine but I just wanted to try my hand at it. Anyone have any suggestions? I do have some silver luster dust but I'm not sure how that would look on gray, with no other silver on the cake. Thanks for your help!

Angela

7 replies
 jenncowin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 8

Mix some of your black gel color with vodka and paint the bow. The alcohol will make it dry faster. They also make a black petal dust if you have access to it and you can brush it on dry or wet by making a paint out of it with the vodka as well.

rockytop  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 8

You might be able to spray the black on using arasol cans that you cane purchase at wally . I believe it is called Color Mist, I used them on my turkey cake . Hope this helps.

i_heart_pastry  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 8

I would do as Jen suggests and paint it with black gel and vodka. Be sure to use a quality sable brush, it will make all the difference!

tracey1970  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #5 of 8

I'd "third" the painting method. I just made a fondant plaque of Optimus Prime last weekend and some of that character is black. I mixed black gel colour and some vodka - got a great black colour. I'd go easy on a bow, though, as it's a bit more delicate than what I was painting. You don't want the fondant to go all goopy. You should be fine as long as you go carefully.

ajmccray  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 8

Ok, so should I wait for them to dry, or should I paint them tonight?

Angela

tracey1970  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #7 of 8

I'd maybe wait. From my experience, when I paint on a gel/vodka mixture, it takes a few days to dry really well. What I painted last weekend is still a bit "tacky" in places. So maybe wait overnight, if you have time, before putting on more colour. I don't know that it would make a difference, but I am a "better safe than sorry" person...

Davina_Alloway  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #8 of 8

I've actually had great luck with the color mist myself. I used it to color the red string licorice. I used it on the spider in my pictures. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%