Home Business In Australia

Business By Bunsen Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 11:15pm by Evoir

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #1 of 19

I'm hoping I can get some advice from the Aussies out there; I am currently baking for family and friends but would like to expand and turn it into more of a business.

I contacted the City of Sydney council for advice and was told they won't allow a home kitchen - I would have to use commercial premises. Does anyone else bake from home? Or is the only option to hire premises?

Thanks in advance!

18 replies
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:32am
post #2 of 19

Anyone??

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:16am
post #3 of 19

I would love to know more info about this too..
I'm just starting out, but would love to one day turn this into a legit business.

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 19

There are many threads on this subject, just type in Aussie in Search and you will find a whole lot of information will come up. A lot of the threads might be old but most of the information is still relevant.

Only too happy to help if I can thumbs_up.gif

miscue Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:47am
post #5 of 19

I typed in Australia and Aussie in the search, but nothing is showing up in the forums..... some cute cakes, but no info. icon_sad.gif

Sparklepop Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #6 of 19

Check the forum search - see Cake Decorating Forum then underneath it has Search, Buddy List etc. click on that Search and type in Aussie

miscue Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 19

cool, thanks. icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:49am
post #8 of 19

Hi bunsen and miscue...I am also in Australia, north of Sydney and am about to embark on the same journey. I know our local council are trying to promote home businesses, but am not sure how this applies as yet to cake decorating.

I will 'watch' this topic and add any info as I come across it. It would be nice if we could all have a way to keep in contact on this vast site!

Good luck!

Eve.

miscue Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 19

Hi EVe,

where abouts are you located? I grew up in central coast/newcastle area. icon_smile.gif

Do you belong to any cake decorating groups or anything? I am about to join the cake decorators guild of NSW.

Sparklepop Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:09am
post #10 of 19

Which Guild are you joining miscue? I've been a member for a few years at Golden West.

Evoir Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:22am
post #11 of 19

Hi Sparklepop - missed you last time!

Miscue - I am in Newcastle icon_smile.gif

I looked into joining the guild, and also the association (?) but there are no local meetings etc, so I didn't think it would be of much value just yet. There's a fair bit though, I think, that goes on in Sydney. I am focussing at the moment on soaking up the knowledge and expertise of one of the local, big suppliers of cake decorating stuff and classes in the Hunter region. I'm doing a class right now actually, which has been good for picking the brains of then local experts icon_smile.gif

Sparklepop Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:44am
post #12 of 19

Hi Evoir there is a Branch of the Guild on the Central Coast, they are quite big and there are some terrific decorators there. If you want more info pm me and I'll give you a name and phone number if you like. Believe me you will definitely soak up quite a lot at a Guild meeting and there is nothing better than talking to more cake decorators icon_lol.gif . You will meet decorators from the newest to the most experienced show winners to those that run businesses. Not sure where the Association is though.

Evoir Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #13 of 19

That would be fantastic, Sparkepop icon_smile.gif

Its about an hour's drive tot he Central Coast for me, so yeah, if I can arrange childminding (husband or otherwise!) I'd be interested in joining!

Please pm me those details, whenever yoiu have a free moment icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

Eve

miscue Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:12am
post #14 of 19

I am going to join the Golden West Branch! I live in Northmead, so would probably be the easiest/closest one. I talked to the lovely Shirley on the phone the other week.. I wanted to come to the meeting on feb 14, but couldn't make it - But I will definatly be at the march 14th!!

Sparklepop Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 9:25am
post #15 of 19

Will definitely see you there miscue. Shirley is great she is the President and you'll definitely see me I'm Secretary so make sure you come up and introduce yourself icon_biggrin.gif .
Shirley would have filled you in on everything but if you want to know anything just ask thumbs_up.gif

Eve I just sent those details off to you, hope you can get to go icon_biggrin.gif

miscue Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:17am
post #16 of 19

I will be sure to introduce myself! Shirley was so nice, she told me pretty much everything, I was so upset that I had to work on the sat and couldn't go.
I'm even more excited to come and join now - and I must say, now a little nervous!!
icon_redface.gif

Thanks for all of your info and help today.
Meet you soon!
Rebekah

Evoir Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:37am
post #17 of 19

Hey thanks for that pm, Sparkle icon_biggrin.gif You're a star!!

Have fun at the meeting, Rebekah...I'd love to hear about how you found the meeting!

Thanks girls,
Eve.

Sparklepop Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:27am
post #18 of 19

Rebekah good grief don't be nervous. be excited, we will have a shop from Penrith, demonstrations and you will be guaranteed to learn something, I know I always do, if you don't let me know icon_surprised.gif . Already you know 2 people by the end of the day you'll know more. We are a pretty friendly bunch with ages ranging from young to not so young icon_wink.gif and they're the ones that know it all.

Eve your meeting will be next week, I think, if you can go, there are some really nice people there. If you get there let us know how you go, you will be made most welcome and I'm sure have a good time. I've been to Central Coast before so one day we might get to meet icon_biggrin.gif .

Lyn

Evoir Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:15pm
post #19 of 19

Lyn, I'll see how this week goes. We are in the process of selling and buying a house, so its literally the worst time for me to even mention doing something fun by myself like going to the central coast for a meeting, haha!

But I will definitely be going in the near future icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%