Help Getting My Buttercream White & Not Off White

Decorating By ArtieTs Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 1:51am by AmandaPanda

ArtieTs Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 8

Help anyone!!!

What is the best trick or tip to get snow white buttercream. I use a combo of shortening & unsalted butter. The taste is great & poeple love it, but the off white color is not appealing to my eye at all. It took my teanage daughter (you know the one that never helps but is always there to offer unwanted criticism) to point it out to me. icon_mad.gif Any suggestions?

7 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 8

Wilton also makes something called Icing White White. It is supposed to be added to lighten frosting or to make traditional buttercream white. I have it and have used it. I don't know that I would call it white white, but it does lighten it.

tannersmom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:30am
post #4 of 8

Indydebi has a great snow white butter cream recipe. Search for it in the recipe section. It's very good. I think you'll love it. Also try using clear vanilla. I use shortening not butter. HTH

Ruth0209 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

I add a TINY bit of violet to make mine white again. I like to mix it with the liquid I use so I don't get streaks of violet that didn't quite mix.

michellesArt Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 8

i've used the wilton white-i try not to use it too much (depending how much icing i need i can take a lot to lighten) if you use clear vanilla you wouldn't have to use as much either

debster Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 8

I use high ratio shortening and a good quality butter flavoring. It makes a white frosting sometimes I add a half stick butter and it still stays white. If you don't want to change your recipe I'd get the bright white food coloring by Americolor. HTH

AmandaPanda Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #8 of 8

I make mine with butter and shortening and then add a TINY drop of violet food coloring. The violet cancels out the yellow since they are on the opposite ends of the color spectrum and turns the BC into a bright white. just dip a tooth pick into the violet and add just a tiny amount at a time and you will notice an immediate difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%