Support For Stacked Cake

Decorating By blackice Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 1:24am by blackice

blackice Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 7

OK CC addicts..I'm doing a 5 tiered stacked cake for a bride. The bottom tier is cake and the rest of the tiers are dummies. (4 round and top one square) I will put supports on the bottom tier and separator plates on the others but do I need a supports system on the others?? They will be fondant covered. Should I put something through the middle of the rest of the tiers for stability??

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 7

The only support you will need is a minimal amount in the bottom tier. You don't even need separator plates. Just stack each styro right on the other. But put a cardboard under the one that goes on the real cake so no styro bits get on the cake. I wouldn't even use a center rod.

blackice Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 7

Well that sounds easy enough! Thanks for your info. This is the tallest cake I've done so I'm excited and nervous. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 7

I agree that no support is required between dummies, but I'd use a little more than minimal doweling in the bottom tier. Four fondant covered dummies can get heavy.

I would also suggest, if at all possible, transporting the stacked dummies separately, then placing them on the bottom tier at your destination.

Glue your dummies together to make it even easier.

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 7

If 4 dowels in a bottom tier can support real cake, they can support styro's. I just use BC as the glue between my dummies ... and I pick them up by the top tier to move them ... they stay together just fine.

I'd go ahead and stack the dummies before transport to let the whatever-you're-using-for-glue dry them together. If you want to place the 4 stacked dummies on the real cake once you arrive, you can. I personally would stack the whole thing at the shop.

Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:19am
post #6 of 7

I did a 5 tier sq with the top 4 being dummies. I center doweled because it was so tall and I didn't want any mishaps. It was pretty simple to drive the dowel through the styro and the bottom cake. I felt better knowing it was secured to the cakeboard.

blackice Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:24am
post #7 of 7

Thanks you guys. All of the suggestions were very informative. I think I will probably need to stack them at the location because it will be so tall. I'm transporting in my GMC Yukon and I don't think it will fit. It is also up a very winding road. You guys are awsome!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%