Three Tiered Cake For 30 People?

Decorating By CherylJ Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 1:26pm by cylstrial

CherylJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylJ Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 6

I have always wanted to try to make a 3 tiered cake but have never had a good reason for that much cake.

We have cake each month at work in my department and I volunteered this month. The cakes typically serve about 30-40 people having big pieces.

I was thinking of making a 3", 6", 9" stacked cake. Will having such a small size on the top look silly? Are there other 3 or 2 tiered cake sizes that would work and look better?

Thanks!!

5 replies
Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not an expert so take my opinion with a grain of salt. icon_smile.gif One of my kids wanted a three tiered cake for her birthday and we just didn't need 150 pieces so I did mine from a 10", 6" and empty, clean tuna fish cans. (It was all I had and I didn't want to go buy a pan for this little cake!)

I thought it worked well visually because the differences in size were enough that it still had a good scale to it. I don't see why your pans wouldn't look good too. Stack the pans on top of each other and see if you like the look of them. The finished product will probably be taller if you're making 4" tiers but that will only make it look better IMO. Have fun playing. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 6

Your plan is fine. It will look good. Make the top tier only about 2-3" tall. Any taller & it will look off.

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 6

I make 8"/6'/4" Birthday cakes all the time to feed 30... works great!

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 6

I will make 8",6" and 4"

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 6

Don't forget to post a pic!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%