Sticking Problems...

Decorating By sambugjoebear Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm by sambugjoebear

sambugjoebear Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 5

In a stacked cake, do you place anything between the bottom tier and cake board of the next tier to keep the board/plate from sticking to the icing/fondant? Mine like to stick together, and when I unstack to cut, there's little to no icing/fondant where the top cake was sitting. Any suggestions?

4 replies
jenlg Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 5

Dust the bottom of the board with some 10x sugar, that's what I've heard anyways. Also...are you covering your boards with anything..like saran wrap or wax paper? The sugar thing is all I've heard of. Maybe someone else will have suggestions as well. HTH!

sambugjoebear Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 5

No, I haven't tried wrapping the boards in saran wrap or wax paper. Worth a shot I guess. As for dusting with PS, wouldn't that eventually absorb into the icing/fondant? Curioser and curioser... icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 5

........dusting with PS, wouldn't that eventually absorb into the icing/fondant?......

Yah, it does eventually but there is enough cornstarch in there that usually it is enough to keep the icing from sticking.
Other things that can be used: crumbs (corn flakes, cookie, dried cake, etc); finely nuts, & coconut. You have to be careful w/nuts & coconut as some people are allergic to them.

sambugjoebear Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%