Skillet Cake

Baking By emie Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm by emie

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 4

I've searched this site & the web & can't locate this recipe. It is not a pineapple upside cake & it has no topping. All I've been able to find out is that it has brown & white sugar, butter & shortening, 4 eggs, no spices, & has nuts added & u bake in an iron skillet.

Anyone heard of this recipe. I guess I will just use a good plain cake recipe & add nuts but was hoping to find the original recipe.

Thanks.

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 4
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 4

My grandfather makes a cake that his grandpa taught him how to make in a skillet.

He starts with a nutmeg buttermilk vanilla pound cake for the batter, you can find a good recipe in the recipe section, just add some nutmeg or cinnamon to the batter. He heats the skillet in the oven until its very hot, and adds butter, sugar, brown sugar, and a ton of walnuts or pecans. Heat long enough in the oven to melt the butter and toast the nuts and cover them with the sticky goo, tossing and stirring them every few minutes. Pour the cake batter on top and bake at 325 until done. When you invert it it kinda comes out like a sticky bun, with the nuts and melty sugar oozing over the sides.

Not great to decorate with, but totally yummy to eat. He calls it a Polish Coffee Cake, we have it every Christmas morning.

emie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emie Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies & info. I've made the skillet cobbler & it's good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%