Help Making A Bow Loop Dryer As Seen On Sugarshacks Dvd

Decorating By mcalhoun Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm by mcalhoun

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 8

On Sugarshacks new DVD Boxes and Bows she had her friends (I think) loop dryer for making bows - this was something that was home made. I want to make one and have an idea of taking some small pieces of wood for the frame then drilling holes for dowel rods to go thru - my questions are where should I go to try and find the dowels? And is it ok to just put some type of sealer on the wood - no one really eats the bows anyway and the inside of the bow is what would touch the gumpaste. I don't know just thought it would be nice to bounce around some ideas before I attempted this, and maybe someone has already made one. Any help and or suggestions will be greatly apprectiated!!!

Thanks
Melissa

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 8

You can get dowels at any hardware or building supply store. Sealing the wood is a personal choice. I would probably just wash the dowels and let it go at that.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 8

Those of us who still use dowels in our cakes don't seal them, so I think a bow dryer would be fine with just wooden dowels. I haven't made it past the first box on the DVD (busy week!), but I've heard several comments about the bow dryer. Maybe I will get through the rest of it this weekend and see what everyone is talking about - besides how amazing the new DVD is! thumbs_up.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 8

Super cool rack thumbs_up.gif I do not plan to seal mine, but if you really want to, here is a link to a US Gov publication on food safe sealers that may be useful

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/finlines/knaeb98c.pdf

mcalhoun Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:54am
post #6 of 8

i would not put sealer. food safety scares me.

wendy actually has hers covered with wax paper to help with sticking, but i took it off for the DVD... LOL

i will ask her to check out this thread.

wjmonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjmonte Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 8

hey ya'll, its super easy to make as long as you have access to tools, everything is from the hardware store and like sharon said i had each dowl wrapped in wax paper only so the loop doesnt stick but that makes it food safe also.

there's no specs on sizes and widths, its what you want your loops to look like. I made my dh put several diameter rods so i could pick and choose. but i have found i hardly ever use the size that would be what we put in our cakes.

hths

mcalhoun Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone I think my dh is going to give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%