Food Decorating Pen - Anyone Used It?

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 7:15pm by nanny6sap

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone used this food decorating pen? In the text, they say "sauce" and it looks like they are filling it with chocolate, but I'm wondering if it could be used with a thin buttercream. It is only $10 and I have a list that I have to order soon, but still ... $10 is $10!

Thanks!
Martha
LL

8 replies
cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 9

never used it, looks like piping would do the same thing, only easier and no expense of an extra tool. If i'm wrong i'd love to know.... i am, after all, the queen of gadgets (hence the 19 drawer tool cart for my stuff icon_smile.gif )

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 9

i use the edible markers from americolor (i think) and i love them. they're called gourmet markers, pack of like 10 or 12 different colors, and they are really invaluable for fine details on fondant...especially black! i hate making up royal icing or buttercream with ton of my black die, getting all over everything, just for a few small minor details. instead, i whip out my marker, and have at it!

i've never heard of this product you've showed, so i can't weigh in with my opinon of it, but it does seem to make sense for chocolate drizzles or any writing with chocolate and such.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 9

Do you have to press that plunger to get the icing out? That doesn't look comfortable to me. An icing bag seems easier.

mbt4955 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 9

Piping definitely is not at the top of my skill set, so I am looking for anything that will give me a little more control and (hopefully) make my piping look better.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 9

i use the edible markers from americolor as well, that gadget doesn't give me the impression that it would be easy to handle, and it looks less easy than a piping bag.

in my photos there are two different examples where i have used the markers, both used on fondant to make signs.

mbt4955 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 9

I don't cover with fondant, so the markers wouldn't really work for me. I'm actually thinking about using it with chocolate to decorate my petit fours or Oreo's. I may try little parchment bags first.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 9

oh i see...it does look like it would be good for drizzling but i agree with you, before spending the money i would try parchment bags, which would probably do the same thing

nanny6sap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny6sap Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 9

I had a new cajun injector left over from Thanksgiving & used it to drizzle melted chocolate (without the needle tip) over cookies & candy @ Christmas. Worked like a charm icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%