First Paid Cake Was A Disaster Should I Give Her Money Back?

Decorating By Kristen6992 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm by jensenscakes

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #31 of 44

Kristen6992 - Your cake does look great! You should definitely be proud, being so new at it. I'm new and my cakes really show it icon_mad.gif .

Lolobell - I'm with you...what is SPS? I need some kind of glossary for the all the abbreviations that are used around here. icon_confused.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #32 of 44

SPS? Read my signature line, please.

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:43am
post #33 of 44

Single Plate Separator. Thanks!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #34 of 44

I agree with those who said it sounds fishy. Unless those layers were super slippery, there''s no way it just have slid.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm
post #35 of 44

I have a feeling the cake was sitting on the seat and not the floor. No amount of pillars will prevent disaster if the cake is not transported on a level surface. That is why I hate people picking them up.

Sandy

sweettreats36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats36 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:54am
post #36 of 44

I just wanted to let you know the cake is cute. I don't have enough experience to give you advice but I hope it all works out for you.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:09pm
post #37 of 44

One of my first few cakes - not at a country club (where I was pastry chef and carried the cake into the room and set it on the table myself) but one of the first cakes working for myself where someone came and picked up the cake, she drove all over town in July heat (in the south!) and left it in the car while she went inside to change outfits then drove to the party - picked it up at 10 am called me at 9:30 pm and said the cake had messed up icing on one side. This was not my fault it was hers but I had not specifically told her she could not keep it in the car (I thought it was assumed knowledge but IT IS NOT!) and I did not have her sign anything to say that she was assuming all responsibility for the cake once it left my possession so I drove over there and fixed it without hesitation and learned my hard lesson that you must tell people not to leave it in their car, you must have them sign something saying that they have chosen not to have the cake delivered by you and you are not responsible for it after it leaves and that it was in good condition when picked up. In this case the cake had been supported appropriately and had not slid apart, the heat had caused damage to the piping details on one side - probably the side facing the window and sunshine!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:42am
post #38 of 44

i agree with others on leaving an iced cake in the heat of the car, a big NO.

just to add, i've done 2 tiered cake before, SINGLE 3-inch layers. drove with it to my MIL's, i had it in my trunk, and hubby was driving, and he wasn't driving like a gramma, mind you. i guess he was doing 50-55 mph.

the cake arrived like how it left my house. no shifting whatsoever. i just used bubble tea straws, no center dowel.

so i guess the contributing factors could be 1) leaving the cake in the car, 2) she drove like those ppl at nascar.

sheeza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheeza Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:58am
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarawagner99

I need some kind of glossary for the all the abbreviations that are used around here. icon_confused.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/alternate-acronymsfeel-free-to-join-ftopicp-6180344.html#6180344

icon_biggrin.gif hth icon_wink.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #40 of 44

I think you did a beautiful job on your second cake! gosh! Sorry it slid around on you. Personally I would have done a center dowel. I havent done any sps yet though.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #41 of 44

Pretty cake! I can't believe that was only your second cake!! I can tell you, my 2nd cake didn't look anywhere near as good as that.

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:31am
post #42 of 44

Im sorry this happend to you. Im trying to get my biz up and running before the end of the year and so far I havent been paid for one yet Ive given ALOT away. Im glad cause I dont have the exprience yet but I have learned alot from CC. Your cakes look great, you will find that in all the cakes you give away you will get better and each time you learn how to handle each situation better. Im not sure I would refund all the money. You did have cost in this and your time.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #43 of 44

Love your cake! I agree with the others about too much travel, heat, unlevel transport surface and centrifical force from those hair pin turns being the culprits.

When are we going to get insulated/refridgerated car seats for cakes?!!! I am discovering that I need a mini van with an awsome AC and mirror tinted windows. And I need to take granny's turltle driving lessons. I wish we could work out some kind of self leveling transport platform for going up and down hills too! A girl can dream can't she?

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #44 of 44

If they decided to transport it themselves, then it's their own problem for not driving carefully and that is why I don't transport more than 2 tiers together and than assemble them onsite. If she's really mad maybe a partial refund.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%