What Sizes Are These Tiers?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 2:40pm by cakesbykitty

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to re-create this cake (from the Knot) and I'm wondering what size tiers these are? I'm thinking they are 6, 10, 14 - am I correct? Would 6, 8, 10 look just as good?

Also, the bride has asked me to do the piping on the sides. Would there be a press for this (like Wilton's) or is this done free-hand?

Thanks for any help!
LL

4 replies
cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 5

my guess is 6, 10 and 14. i don't think they make a press for that, it looks like beautiful piping work.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 5

It could also be a 4/8/12, but the question isn't "what size is this cake?" The question is "How many servings do you need to make?" That's what you base your cake sizes on, not whatever the picture is.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your quick responses!! Maybe my question should have been: In your opinion, do you think the tiers are increasing in size by 2 or 4 inches? The number of servings for this wedding is not an issue as it's a German wedding where tortes made by the aunts and grandmas are also served for dessert. The wedding cake just becomes another torte to serve and honestly, many of the tortes will fancier and more decadent than the wedding cake!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 5

since you can't ask the maker directly just get your pans out and stack them and see what you think looks closest/best. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%