How To Dowel A 4 Tiered Cake Please Help Asap!!!!!

Decorating By SOULLA13 Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm by SOULLA13

SOULLA13 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:40am
post #1 of 14

I am making my first 4 tiered wedding cake for this saturday and i am a bit unsure of where to place the dowels for the best support. Please can one of you wonderful cc'ers help me, ive tried looking in the firums for some advice but cant find anything.

13 replies
bashini Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:47am
post #2 of 14

Hi there, you need to put at least 4 or more dowels in each tier. Hope this will help you,

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/dowel-rod-construction.cfm

There are more links on that page, if you want to know more info.

thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 14

If you have time I would order the sps system and not mess with dowels. Here's link to instructions for that support system. I've read to many horror stories from people using dowels and had a disaster with them myself.

kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 14

I highly suggest, since it's too late to order SPS that you use Wilton's hidden dowels - they are 4" tall hollow tubes; the plate the next tier of cake sits on will lock into those pillars and be similar to the SPS for safety.

Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:09am
post #5 of 14

what kakeladi said and just wanted to add Michael's or Joann Fabrics sells these Wilton pillars and plates.
You need 1 plate for every tier except the bottom one and each plate uses 4 pillars/columns. You'll know where to place them by pressing the plate into the top of the cake, the legs on the bottom will make a mark in the cake/icing. Just slide the pillars right down where the mark is and the plate will lock into them when you place it on top.

Good Luck.

tiggy2 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #6 of 14

I can't believe I forgot to add the link, sorry. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

dogluvr Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #7 of 14

when I do a search for single place separator or sps on globalsugarart, I just see the wilton separators....what am I doing wrong

Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr

when I do a search for single place separator or sps on globalsugarart, I just see the wilton separators....what am I doing wrong

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That was my EXACT reaction the first time I saw SPS, so funny your's was the same. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

The SPS plates and supports look ALMOST identical to Wilton plates and supports, except the SPS has a notch on the plate that you push the cake board onto for a little more support (from sliding).

I use Wilton, only because the bakery supply near me refuses to carry SPS, they tell me I'm the only one asking for it icon_confused.gif I don't believe that, but whatever. I use the Wilton and a no name that is similar, that they do carry. I don't want to have to pay shipping on SPS and risk not having it when I need it. Knock wood, so far no mishaps.

lchris Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 14

So the SPS and wilton are basically the same, except for the little nub in the center of the SPS? (Ducking from Leahs! icon_biggrin.gif )

cherrycakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchris

So the SPS and wilton are basically the same, except for the little nub in the center of the SPS? (Ducking from Leahs! icon_biggrin.gif )

Glad you asked it and not me icon_lol.gif but I want to know this as well as SPS is very difficult to get in Canada but Wilton is everywhere.

Isaby Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 14

This is a great thread! I am getting ready to do a 4 tier cake as well! Good luck to you soulla13, and make sure to post a pic!!!

Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Quote:

Glad you asked it and not me icon_lol.gif but I want to know this as well as SPS is very difficult to get in Canada but Wilton is everywhere.

You guys are funny icon_lol.gif It is my understanding that yes that's the only difference. This is what the lady at my bakery supply keeps telling me.

What I do for my taller than 3 tier cakes is I pre-drill a hole through the center of the plastic plates so I can use a center dowel.

kelleym Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:

I believe that they differ in that with SPS, the legs actually lock tight into the plates. With Wilton you just set the plates on the hollow tubes, but it doesn't "lock" and is therefore not as secure.

I just bought SPS because I have a 4-tier wedding cake to do in May that will have to be delivered 70 miles, fully assembled. I'm not taking any chances. icon_eek.gif

SOULLA13 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 14

Hi guys,

Ive just delievered the cake!!! In the end i opted to use dowels as ive used them many times before and never had a problem (she saying with fingers crossed)!!! I thought id share the picture with you all as you all helped me so much!! Thanks again. x

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1319722

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%