Applying Fondant Stripes

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm by Kristen6992

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:13am
post #1 of 21

I'm doing a 12, 9, & 6" stacked cake for the weekend. (The bottom 12" tier is the one w/ the stripes.) I'm wondering when I should apply the fondant stripes---before or after stacking? I'll be using the SPS & didn't think the legs would push through the fondant very easily, since it's stripes & not a solid piece of fondant.

And is there an easy way to cut them once you've placed them? My thinking is if I apply them after stacking how do you get them to line up w/ the 2nd tier? Or do you start at that tier & go down to the board?

Sorry so many questions.

20 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:50am
post #2 of 21

Hi, once I did stripes on a cake. I did it after stacking the tiers. Then I start form the bottom, and when you go to the top, use your exacto knife to cut it near to the top tier. Hope it make sence!

thumbs_up.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 21

Have you ever stored fondant accents (polka dots mainly) in an airtight container a few days ahead? I'm thinking to cut down on rolling & cutting I might go ahead if they'll not turn rock hard.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 21

I've made polka dots a few days ahead, then covered in Saran wrap and then a air tight container - and I think it actually works better. This way, the circle remains a perfect circle, rather than being soft and appyling to the cake and possible (slightly) losing it's perfect round shape. Plus, by working on a day or two ahead, you can cut off the 'fringes' from the cutter and not worry about altering the round shape.
Hope this makes sense!! Sorry... trying to type fast at work, as my 'break' was over 1 minute ago!! icon_lol.gif
~ Jaime

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 21

I did a cake (yellow with flowers and columns in my pics) that had stripes. I actually laid the fondant-after stacking- from top down to board, then it was easy to trim at the bottom.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 21

Can fondant stripes be easily applies to buttercream & does it stay well?

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 21

newnancy- yes- fondant stripes do adhere well to buttercream! thumbs_up.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 21

cakedout,
Thanks! I can't wait to start trying some of this.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 21

If doing the dots ahead, does that work for strips and diamonds or will bending them crack them? I need a play vaction!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

If doing the dots ahead, does that work for strips and diamonds or will bending them crack them? I need a play vaction!

Personaly I wouldn't do the stripe ahead. It might tend to break.

jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 21

thanks bashini! I think so but still want to play. Next question: On the fondant cakes that have all the different color stripes on them - they look like one piece, are they and then painted? Or are they patched together? I want to try that next.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #12 of 21

Boy I'm watching this topic but haven't seen one email notice! icon_cry.gif

jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 21

bobwonderbuns - what email do you need? I'll send you one if it will help! icon_biggrin.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 21

Yep I always stack my cakes and then add the stripes. You can make a clean cut at the base of each tier with your knife. I do dots ahead of time but not stripes because they will not be bendable.

dandelion56602 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 21

Another ?

Do you guys cut the stripes & let them air dry a few min before applying them to the cake or do you just put them on. I'm nervous I'll end up w/ crooked stripes if I handle them too soon, but don't want them to crack on me either.

Can you get sharp bends in the stripes or do they have a more rounded look where they go over the corner of the cake?

And my last ? (for now anyway). They're going on a crusting buttercream. Should I wet the stripe then put on or some other way?

You ladies are great

tarheelgirl Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #16 of 21

This is what works for me.. I cut my stripes on wax paper. Let them sit for a couple minutes while I continue to cut other stripes. I found that if I try to pull them up immediately after cutting they will stretch and get crooked. I have never wet mine with anything if applying to buttercream.

dandelion56602 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:41pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I have never wet mine with anything if applying to buttercream.

Even with a crusting buttercream? I'm afraid of them falling off

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:51pm
post #18 of 21

You can definitively do fondant accents and store them provided they are well sealed. The pirate cupcakes in my photos were done like that. I made the faces ahead of time, and covered them in a greased (I used a smear of Crisco) clingfilm, then I wrapped the whole tray up in some more clingfilm. When I came to use them they had not dried out at all.

tarheelgirl Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #19 of 21

If you find it not sticking so much you can dab your "glue" gumpaste/water mixture.. to the back with a paint brush.

jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #20 of 21

on the doing head idea, I am making mmf elephant face ccs. I know the trunk will get firm enough to stay on the cc but could I do the faces ahead of time and then place on the cc add the trucnk and be done with it? I am making 100.

Kristen6992 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristen6992 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #21 of 21

I just did this for the first time. I made the stripes and circles ahead of time. When I went to put them on the cake they wouldn't bend as much as I needed without cracking. I ended up puting each one in the microwave for about 5 seconds and it worked really well to get them soft enough to bend around the cake but not too much so they would stretch or become misshaped. I don't know that I would want to make a habit of doing it this way, it might not work next time! But in a crunch it worked for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%