Tutorial--Diy French Manicure!

Lounge By Rocketgirl899 Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 3:53am by Rocketgirl899

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:48am
post #1 of 24

MODS: if you wanna move it to the lounge, I get it... just thought people who knew about the original post would see it here...not there icon_smile.gif
Thanks icon_smile.gif

Hello! Not by popular request, I did a tutorial about how to give your self a French manicure º you can do it with toes too. I sit in a chair and do it, but I still love a good pedicure! Ohh or get your hubby to do it! Just say babe if you do it, it will save $35 instead of me going to the salon! I don¡¦t go over the main clipping and maintenance, I didn¡¦t have time tonight, sorry girls! Total cost for supplies is less than $20 and the products should last about a year doing your nails 3-4 times a month

What you need:

Enough time to sit still and not mess up your beautiful nails while they are drying. The first time I would give yourself 30-45 min total. Takes me less than 20 now.

Nail clippers- I like toenail clippers they give a better shape
Cuticle trimmer¡Xif you really need them
7 sided nail buffer- VITAL if you have ridges! I do but you can¡¦t see em cause I get rid of them.
White nail polish- I use ORLY French manicure
Base coat, mine has a pink tint to it and is called Beauty secrets
Top Coat, mine is blue (?!?!) and is Beauty Secrets I would use the same base and top coat brand it also helps dry the under coats and dries pretty fast
100% PURE Acetone- I use CVS pro polish remover. Don¡¦t worry its not bad for your nails. If you don¡¦t use pure acetone you won¡¦t clean your brush off and it will streak. I have done it.
Brush of your choice, I like the rounded tip. I picked up a bag of 5-7 brushes at Wal-Mart for $8 bucks, lots of different sizes and types to practice with to see what you like. mine is Artcolor ¡§4¡¨
Patience! If you mess up just finish the good nails and come back to the bad one.

1.  Cut, file, buff nails
2.  wash hands and dry thoroughly
3.  put on white nail polish, you want to cover the whole natural white part of your nail. Remember you can always take it off so load up! I start with my right hand and go to my right, then put on a second coat.
4.  dip the brush in acetone and dab a little so its not dripping wipe of the white nail polish slowly until it is the curve and thickness you want. Every couple of strokes rinse the brush in acetone
5.  repeat 9 times and try not to mess up your nails while doing it! I still ALWAYS do.
6.  let dry for a few minutes then take your base coat and only paint the non white part of the nail
7.  let dry longer 5-8 min and then brush the whole nail with the top coat.
8.  sit and relax till dry!

I am not ambidextrous but it¡¦s not too hard to get reasonable looking nails. When doing my ¡§wrong¡¨ hand I brace with the right hand. And I keep my brush sweeping perpendicular to the nail. In no time you will be doing it quickly I hope this helps out alil. Keep in mind that people do not look at your nails up close they are usually a few feet away, and anything looks better from a distance! You can also do this with a less white polish to get the ¡§American¡¨ look. I like a thicker line, but a thin line looks really chic on short nails.

Sorry for the long directions, and the lack of any audio for the nails. I don¡¦t have editing software on this computer º

Questions just ask away º

I wish I could embed the video... but I can't so check it out on you tube icon_smile.gif

icon_eek.gif3MU

23 replies
cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #2 of 24

THANK YOU sooooo much for the tutorial and video! I know what I will be doing tomorrow (going to get supplies). I am sure my husband will thank you if I can do it right (and also my pocket book!).

Rocketgirl899 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 24

I just thought of something...

careful with buying a synthetic brush as the acetone might melt it....

also, it takes practice, mostly the "bad" nails will still look good.

A thin line looks really pretty, i just like the thick line look. on shorter nails thin looks really pretty icon_smile.gif

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 24

OK for all the skeptics who may have wondered if this technique works........it sure does!

I read the post 1st thing this morning...and I have already successfully completed my 1st trial run. I didn't have all the right products and it turned out pretty good with only minor errors.

I expect perfection once I have all the "correct" supplies!

Just thought I would let you know since I see many views but hardly any replies. It does work.

Thanks for the info!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 24

Thanks for the tutorial. I can't wait to get the supplies and try this.

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 24

I am trying your method as I type this! Waiting for the white coat to dry. hehe

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 24

Although I have not tried this method myself, I can tell you it DOES work! When I was on vacation in Florida last year I received a mani/pedi from the spa at the resort we were staying in, and this is exactly how they did my manicure! I was amazed! I also like really thin white lines...looks so neat and "clean"!

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 24

Thanks for the info, that is cool. I will have to try it.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 24

cambro! This is exactly why I started doing it! I could never just paint the line, then i saw this technique and said.. i can do that!

icon_smile.gif

cambo Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 24

I would do mine that way, but the last bottle of white french tip polish I bought has a TEENY TINY brush on it! So, it's a breeze now! If I ever can't find this particular polish/brush again, then I'll definitely be doing mine this way!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 24

Rocketgirl899:

icon_biggrin.gif I knew you would post this tutorial!!! thumbs_up.gif Thanks and like I said before you have the coolest tutorials. Can't wait to try it! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 24

Now I totally want to do my nails!

Thanks!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 24

Now, if I had some nails! I might actually have to grow them to try this!

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 24

Thanks so much for posting this! I actually was going to get my nails done. I spend about $45 where I live just for a french. Including tip. I must try this!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

I would do mine that way, but the last bottle of white french tip polish I bought has a TEENY TINY brush on it! So, it's a breeze now! If I ever can't find this particular polish/brush again, then I'll definitely be doing mine this way!

I have tried those teeny brushes.. i suck! lol. so glad it works for you.

don't through out the bottle before you go looking. If you can't find, just clean the old stuff out with acetone including the brush and fill it up with another bottle of white icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:33pm
post #16 of 24

CourtNChris

$45 for just a french?! this is insane! I could understand it for a special day, like your wedding, or a special treat (once a year) but nails need to be done often.

Imagine if we all painted out own nails, the magnificant rainy day fund we would have.... or in my case.. more cake toys icon_smile.gif)

Post your pics ladies! Come its really easy to snap a photo with your cell!

cambo Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

I have tried those teeny brushes.. i suck! lol. so glad it works for you.

don't through out the bottle before you go looking. If you can't find, just clean the old stuff out with acetone including the brush and fill it up with another bottle of white icon_smile.gif

DUH! I don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks! When I do my nails next I'll be sure to post a picture! I have a ton of competition cakes to finish, so no frenchy for me until those babies are DONE...but as soon as they are, HELLO frenchy!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #18 of 24

cambo! good luck with your cakes icon_smile.gif I just got an order for a cake at the end of march... only problem is that its a Sugarshack cake, and i gotta live up to it!

dont mind the ugly cuticles! All I had time to do was paint. This is after 4 days......

icon_smile.gif see i told you they look better from a distance.
LL

Rocketgirl899 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:51am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie92869

OK for all the skeptics who may have wondered if this technique works........it sure does!

I read the post 1st thing this morning...and I have already successfully completed my 1st trial run. I didn't have all the right products and it turned out pretty good with only minor errors.

I expect perfection once I have all the "correct" supplies!

Just thought I would let you know since I see many views but hardly any replies. It does work.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for this icon_smile.gif I am sure there are people reading the thread thinking.. what kind of nut is SHE! Would have been better if I had photos, but currently I can't find my camera battery charger. hmm.

oh and the ridges above, in my nails, this time I didn't smooth them out. Usually I do that ever 2-3 weeks. I have reallllllly bad ridges.

No idea what my next tutorial will be! But I kinda like making them icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #20 of 24

I just did mine nd while they aren't perfect they look pretty darn good.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #21 of 24

Make sure you wash ALL the acetone off your nails. and replace your nail brush at least every couple months because bacteria and stuff grow in it.

Beauty school told me so icon_wink.gif

And when you do white, make sure you do it in thin coats. You can see where it's too thick if you mess it up. It takes a while longer, but looks much cleaner in the long run.

To keep your cuticles nice and moist so they don't peel or grow too fast, try using some Burt's Bees Butter Cuticle Cream before bed and wash if off in the morning. It has a lemon scent and is cheap, but works awesomely well.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #22 of 24

French Manicured Cake? icon_confused.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:51am
post #23 of 24

cake_princes.. i dont get what you mean!?!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:53am
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderspritzer

replace your nail brush at least every couple months because bacteria and stuff grow in it.

Beauty school told me so icon_wink.gif

really?! huh. I have had mine for over a year... and i have washed i maybe 2x with soap.... bacteria can live with the acetone? I wouldn't eat off it or anything but hmm.

I am getting ready to replace it as the cheap thing from walmart is finally wearing out... but I will replace it with the same cheap thing.. lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%