How To Get A Smooth Fbct??

Decorating By sunkiss456 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 8:50am by sunkiss456

sunkiss456 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:22am
post #1 of 5

I am thinking of attempting a FBCT and I want to know how to get it smooth. I am so nervous trying to do this. It looks very complicated icon_cry.gif yikes! Is it necessary to use the buttery buttercream icing or can I use any buttercream recipe? I am going to do maxine and I want her to look good. Thanks for any help!

4 replies
Peachshortcake Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:31am
post #2 of 5

I've just used american buttercream and it works fine. I find that its easier if you do the out lines in a thicker consistancy, freeze it, and then use a thinner icing to flood the outlines in the colours you want. I've just used parchment paper in the past and taped it tight to the bottom of a cake pan. They have always turned out smooth.

cookie_fun Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:33am
post #3 of 5

I've only done this once before, and I used my own buttercream recipe. It's in my pictures, the Wall-e cake. It came out pretty well, but I think it's one of those things that improves with practice.

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:57am
post #4 of 5

I may be confused on what you're asking, but the FBCT looks smooth on the cake because the part you are seeing is actually the bottom .... you flip the FBCT over when you put it on the cake. So no worry about how to make it smooth ... it just always works out that way! thumbs_up.gif

sunkiss456 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:50am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

indydebi:
I may be confused on what you're asking, but the FBCT looks smooth on the cake because the part you are seeing is actually the bottom .... you flip the FBCT over when you put it on the cake. So no worry about how to make it smooth ... it just always works out that way! Thumbs Up!

You know I never thought about that LOL I feel terribly silly now. Thanks for the help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%