Using Natural Food Coloring?

Decorating By connerart Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm by connerart

connerart Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 10

Have anyone tried to make buttercream icing with natural food coloring? It is not gel or is there one with gel? I have a few friends that don't like the artifical coloring. Any ideas?

9 replies
Bijoudelanuit Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:30am
post #2 of 10

I had a student who would made her own coloring with fruit and vegetable puree. (strawberries for pink, carrots for orange, etc) They produced pastel colors and slightly flavored the icing. It seems likely that there must be a natural coloring available for purchase, but I'm not aware of one... Here's a bump for you!

-Tubbs Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 10

I've thought I would like to offer this as an option when my bakery is up and running. I felt that my own kids were quite badly affected by artificial colours when they were little (hyperactivity - personally I feel colours cause more of a problem for kids than sugar...)

One of my friends has coloured icing with home-made stuff - blueberries and beets I recall. Obviously the colours are going to be different, and consistency might be a problem, but for pastel shades it would be a nice option. For red and any other dark shades, it's gonna have to be traditional artificial colours though.

kakeladi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 10

I recie4ved some as a gift.......seems to me the company was Running Tree - might be Falling Leaf; I don't remember ....... sure now. they were good. As I remember, they were gels.

doodledo Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 10

I remember watching Alton Brown (Food Network) and he was using all natural food colorings made from fruits/veggies. I have looked at the Co-Ops and Whole Foods and they do have food coloring there but I can not remember what they are made from.

connerart Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #7 of 10

Thanks! I think the co-ops have the natural food coloring but it is in liquid form. I haven't tried it yet.

connerart Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #8 of 10

Another question: Do you use less milk/water when using the natural coloring? I was wondering about that.

kellertur Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:34am
post #9 of 10

I have used natural in the past (and would love to use them exclusively) but around here it's over $18.00 for four .05 oz bottles. The color somewhat cooks out, but I'd rather use natural, and it's what I use for my family.
I am honest with my customers who request color, so they have the option of either no color, or paying more for the natural.

Does anyone know where you can order these natural colors at a more affordable price?

Thank you.

connerart Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm
post #10 of 10

Which one do you like using better?

Quote by @%username% on %date%