Wire Type And Size

Decorating By Debster287 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm by cakesbykitty

Debster287 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #1 of 4

I am doing a rain wedding cake this summer. I have the cake planned out and would love to do the top in rain w/wire and crystals and jewels hanging off the ends over the cake. Has anyone done this before? And if so what type and size of wire will work. I have seen it done on Ace of Cakes but, don't remember? Thanks for all of your help.

3 replies
brincess_b Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:51am
post #2 of 4

the bigger/ heavier the objects, the thicker wire you need. ive used 24 for fondant stars, something a bit thicker (lower number) might be better since u will be putting more on. it sounds like a cool cake icon_smile.gif
xx

MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:25am
post #3 of 4

depends on whether you want it to 'fall' naturally with it's own weight or for you to be able to bend it to the required shape (and for it to stay there!). The lower gagues (16, 18 & 20) will give you better control, but these can be hard to find in anything other than white or green.

Lindy Smith is a great source for info & ideas for wired sprays:

www.lindyscakes.co.uk

cakesbykitty Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 4

get the heaviest you can find and try it first. i had to try several gauges of wire before my baubles (circles and baubles cake) would not pull themselves over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%