Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 9:56pm by LittleLinda

pipe-dreams Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone! My name's Sheryl, and I've been on this site for a few months. I just wanted to introduce myself. I worked in a bakery for 4 years, but hardly ever did cakes. A few years ago, I realized that I have a passion for cakes, so I decided to go to school for it. Unfortunately the closest school is 4 hours away, so I decided against thaticon_smile.gif I got blessed with a baby girl, and gave up on my dream for a while to take care of her and enjoy motherhood. Last year she turned 2, and I decided it was time to find myself again. So I started with her birthday cake, and it turned out amazing! So I have slowly started to do cakes again, whenever I get someone that wants a cake. Please check out my cakes and let me know what you think. I would love honest(harsh if necessary) feedback. I am my own worst critic, and my hubby always says they are great. it would be nice to have an unbiased opinion! Thank you, and look forward to sharing with you in the future!

8 replies
gerripje Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:17am
post #2 of 9

Hi! Your cakes look really good to me! I am certainly no expert, and have been teaching myself via internet and books that I can find for a little over a year. At least you have some great creativity where I lack in that department. I can imitate other designs, but have trouble envisioning something myself. (That's where my 8 year old daughter comes in handy!) I really like making and decorating cakes and have found that I am totally obsessed with gum paste, but as you know with kids you have to take time for them. So, as usual, I find myself replying to this after midnight!

LittleLinda Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 9

welcome! You are on the best site for information on cake decorating. I looked at your cakes. I saw many people viewed them but nobody left a comment. If I take the time to view a cake, I will leave a comment.

It's hard to make cakes with a two year old around. I practically stopped doing cakes when my kids were small.

The only criticism I have, if that's not too harsh a word, is on the train cake. The party decorations were Thomas the Tank Engine which is blue, and other colors in the decorations were red and yellow. I'd have done the cake in those colors rather than brown.

kbak37 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 9

Welcome, and I understand your predicament. I have been doing cakes since I was about 10, then stopped for a while, went to college, had kids, blah blah, and have recently started up again seriously. I am also no professional and really bad at not posting my own photos. I agree with the previous poster LittleLinda, but on the flip side, your cakes look great and you should be pleased. One of the best things I can recommend is investing the money to buy Sugarshack's DVD's. You will not be disappointed and they will pay for themselves. Here is the website.

Dizzymaiden Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 9

Your photos are good - I have taken classes at the local technical school (cake decorating and such) - this is a good way to get your feet into it without the cost and travel.

Keep going! thumbs_up.gif

KrissieCakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 9

Welcome! This is such an awesome and friendly site and you will learn so much here! Who needs school when you have CC? icon_smile.gif I am also in the same situation as you - I have a 3 year old boy and a 1o month old girl - non stop work! A lot of my cakes could have been better - had I not been holding my crying baby while piping buttercream or swatting my son's hand away from the cake batter, icing bowl, or fondant!!! By the way - I disagree with the posters above - they must not be Thomas fans! If your son wants a Diesel 10 cake, he gets a Diesel 10 cake and what other party decorations could you do? I'm impressed that you even got Pinchy on there! icon_smile.gif Can you tell which train is my son's fave?

pipe-dreams Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for the nice comments. It was so hard to get that train the right color, but that's what he wanted. I thought it was kinda weird when I saw all of the Thomas decorations,too. Apparently they don't have a lot of Diesel 10 things, mostly just Thomas! I went to Walmart to look for a Diesel 10 to get a better idea of what he looked like, and they didn't have one thing of him. No toys, no pictures, nothing. Not even at Toysrus. So I had to get the mom of the birthday boy to lend me his Diesel 10 train(which they must have a million dollars for b/c I swear it's the only one ever made) icon_lol.gif

Twopeasinapod Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 9

Welcome to CC! This is a wonderful place to share and receive ideas and information. I think your cakes look really good! I have also been teaching myself with the internet and books. The members of CC are great at helping out and sharing!! If you have any questions, just ask. There always seems to be someone who will answer you.

Again, welcome!!

LittleLinda Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 9

Sorry, I missed "diesel 10" in your cake description. I didn't realize that is a specific type of train.

Quote by @%username% on %date%