Airbrush Questions

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 1:02am by Yuni

pipe-dreams Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #1 of 11

Ok, I'm not even sure if this is the right category I am posting in, but it sounded good! I'm new here, and I love doing cakes. I really want an airbrush, but I can't afford to shell out $200+ for one, since I am not a full time decorator. I've looked on ebay, but I honestly know nothing about airbrushes.n icon_razz.gif
Does anyone have advise on which are good, and which to stay away from? Also, any cheaper websites than the usual cake suppliers, besides ebay? Thanks so much!!

10 replies
Cakepro Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:27am
post #2 of 11

Hello and welcome to Cake Central!

We have had many, many hours of discussion on airbrushes here, with super-informative posts on this subject. Just do a quick search on "airbrush" and pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee - you will be quite enlightened after spending some time researching that subject here. icon_smile.gif

CakeMommy3 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:14am
post #3 of 11

Hi, I was just about to ask that same question when I saw it already posted...I must be doing something wrong, because every time I type in 'airbrush' in the search box, it says no results found in forum icon_sad.gif Computers hate me.

Cakepro Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 11

Don't use the searchbox in the top right corner of the site - it seems to be broken.

Look up above the title of this thread - there is a "Search" link there.

Here's one informative thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608279-airbrush.html

dsevans Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 11

ibought my airbrush on ebay from TCPGLOBAL ( they have a regular internet site too) mine is just a small compressor ( shaped like an elephant) and it came with one airbrush, i paid $75 for it and i have benn VERY happy with it, i do need more abrushes so i cna do more than one color at a time but, it works good doesnt take up much space and is fairly quiet.

pipe-dreams Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 11

Yeah, the search box wasn't working for me either! I was wondering why no one had asked this question yet, but now I know why icon_razz.gif
Thank you fir the info..I'll check out the other posts. Oh, and that's who I was looking at on ebay, but I would hate to buy it without knowing it worked great. You said you need more airbrushes? Is that so you don't have to clean it out immediately to use another color? Like you will just clean them all out when you're done with the cake? Just curiousicon_smile.gif

dellboi2u Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #7 of 11

I bought mine at Michaels with a 50% coupon. Someone posted Michaels coupons on here yesterday or the day before.

dtmc Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellboi2u

I bought mine at Michaels with a 50% coupon. Someone posted Michaels coupons on here yesterday or the day before.

I didn't know Michaels sells airbrushes? What kind is it? Is it a hobby airbrush?

hallow3 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 11

My husband just bought me an airbrush for Valentines. I still have not gotten it out of the box. I have been doing research on how to use it. I found one website that discuss the uses of each airbrush and shows a few lessons in video. very helpful, although they are not design specific for cake but any airbrush will work and the techniques are about the same. the website is www.howtoairbrush.com. I can't wait to spend some quality time with my airbrush. I got the cresendo made by Badger and it had pretty good reviews according to howtoairbrush. with my 50% of coupon at Michaels my husband paid about 70 dollars and $100 for the air compressor

Yuni Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommy3

Hi, I was just about to ask that same question when I saw it already posted...I must be doing something wrong, because every time I type in 'airbrush' in the search box, it says no results found in forum icon_sad.gif Computers hate me.

i got "Search found 6982 matches" this time, the results times out every ... i don't know how long, so I have to re do the whole search if I followed one possibly useful thread, so far I am on the 9th page of 466 pages, re done the same search 5 times already .... I think we need a "Airbrush Forum"! icon_biggrin.gif

share some good ones I've found with you:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=608279&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=airbrush&&start=0
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6288113-airbrush.html#6288113
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6273319-airbrush.html#6273319

go back searching.... icon_cool.gif

Yuni Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevans

ibought my airbrush on ebay from TCPGLOBAL ( they have a regular internet site too) mine is just a small compressor ( shaped like an elephant) and it came with one airbrush, i paid $75 for it and i have benn VERY happy with it, i do need more abrushes so i cna do more than one color at a time but, it works good doesnt take up much space and is fairly quiet.

Which model did you get if you don't mind me asking? I am checking them (TCPGLOBAL) as well, but they have way too many choice for a beginner like me~ it's confusing~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%