Why Is My Wasc Sinking In The Middle?

Decorating By Cinderina Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 5:16am by Cinderina

Cinderina Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 9

I just made the WASC recipe from here submitted by Denise2434. I made four 8" pans (a full recipe) according to the directions. I did use the bake even strips. They all came out with the center sunken in. I decide to try a second batch but this time I made half the recipe (two 8") and sifted the cake mix. Is that normal for this recipe? I made the WASC recipe from Kakeladi and it didn't sink. I tried one from the first batch and it seem ok; very moist. Was wonder if these are ok for torting, filling and stacking. I was planning on using these for a cake that's due on Friday. Thanks.

8 replies
Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 9

If the cakes are baked all the way through, and you are happy with their height, texture, and density, then yes, they will be fine for you to torte, fill, and stack. icon_smile.gif

JodieF Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 9

The only time my WASC cakes have sunk in the middle is when I've unbaked them. I fill my pans fairly deep and a 6 inch cake will take 45 minutes at 325 degrees. I bake mine until they feel fairly firm to the touch in the center. It's usually at least 10 minutes after I would have thought they were done.

Jodie

tarheelgirl Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 9

I make WASC all the time! I have never had one sink. They have to really bake a long time. I usually bake for about 55 minutes.

Cinderina Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 9

I baked the 8" for at least 45 minutes. Tops were golden brown, the sides were pulling away, and the toothpick came out clean. I was afraid to bake them longer for fear of them becoming a rock. So under typical circustances that would indicated it was done. I just never had a cake that didn't at least bake even or with a bit of a crown.

Michellers Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:54am
post #6 of 9

Make sure your oven is heating to the temp it says it is. I was having the same problem with my WASC sinking in the middle. I have a double oven range, and the lower oven is the one I mainly bake in..it's larger. I finally figured out even though the oven is set at 325 it's really only 265, so I actually have to set it at 385. When I do that, it bakes beautifully. Now the smaller upper oven is spot on. I don't have to adjust at all, go figure. Yet, I still prefer the larger oven.

Cinderina Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 9

I will have to check that. That is certainly a possiblility. I will be purchasing a thermometer today. Anxious to see what it reads. Thanks.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:53am
post #8 of 9

I find that WASC gives a "false impression" when I look at it thru the oven door--high rise, golden top, etc. If I open the door and pull the rack out, if the rack jiggles, the middle will deflate. Also, if I touch the center at this point or if I test it with a toothpick (if it didn't jiggle), it will sink in the center.

If the cake is really underdone when I test it, then the middle will be wet when the rest of it is finished. If I'm not too, too early, then I just get a little valley that doesn't go below what I have to cut off to level the cake.

It's still my preferred "base" for all of my cake flavors.

I do use an oven thermometer and a timer, but I'm trying to learn to be more patient, too icon_biggrin.gif

Rae

Cinderina Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:16am
post #9 of 9

I think that pretty much explains it. It looks done, tests done but deflates in the middle. Taste fine too. Guess I wasn't expecting those kind of results.

BlakesCakes, not to switch the subject but I see you're in Cleveland. I'm in Twinsburg. I'm very much a newbie and have done cakes for school, friends, and family. What kind of pricing per slice are you charging? I have also done 3/8" sugar cookies with royal icing. What's the ballpark for something like that for our area. Again, I'm a newbie and this has been more of a hobby but I'm getting more requests. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%