Number Cake Topper???

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 3:42am by SweetPea0613

SweetPea0613 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 13

I want to make the number 22 out of fondant. I know I can do that much. I'm just gonna roll out a snake of fondant and shape it with little swirls at the end.

But how would I attach it to the top of a topsy turvy cake?? And is it okay for it to look crooked as well or should it be straight??

I'm clueless...please help icon_sad.gif

12 replies
KrissieCakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 13

It can be crooked. It looks good that way, or it can be applied to the front side of the cake. Take a look at Pink Cake Box's gallery on her blog. Nearly all of her cakes have that type of number on them.

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/category/pastry-images/celebration-cakes

One bit of advice...make extra numbers! I broke mine twice trying to get the wires pushed through the cake!

SweetPea0613 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 13

Wow that's awesome!! Thanks for your help..

So one more question...

If I put the 22 on the side of the cake do I still need a cake topper??? I know I'm dumb icon_redface.gif but i need help

Oh, this is how I want to make the top tier...with the fondant on top to look like frosting coming over the sides... would it look okay with no topper???

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1073323

KrissieCakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:22am
post #4 of 13

What are you planning it to look like, other than topsy, with the overlapped icing? Is there a theme? I just want to visualize it to know topper or no topper! icon_smile.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #5 of 13

It's red, hot pink, black and white. It's a two tier cake with a harlequin pattern on the bottom. red and hot pink diamonds and little black hearts where the diamonds meet. The top will have either hot pink or red fondant draped over to look like frosting coming down the sides and vertical red, hot pink and black stripes...Between some of the stripes i'll probably put a few hearts as well. Hope my description helped you visualize

SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #6 of 13

Here's a pic of what it might look like. But I might just go with solid diamonds instead of an overlay look...
LL

KrissieCakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:12am
post #7 of 13

I personally think the 22 would look the best on top since there is a lot going on on the tiers. Don't you? Maybe you could put a contrasting color heart on one of the numbers? Or like Pink Cake Box does, put some hearts on wires coming out behind the number...that might be too much, not sure. But definitely number on top. Definitely post a pic when you're done - it sounds like it is going to be pretty neat!

KrissieCakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #8 of 13

That is going to be great!!! Good luck to you!

SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:15am
post #9 of 13

Thanks so much for your help..Hopefully it turns out how I drew it... icon_lol.gif or close to it.

Thanks again!!

KrissieCakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:16am
post #10 of 13

Oh yeah...are you putting the numbers on wires to stick in the top?

SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:19am
post #11 of 13

Well I'm not actually sure...I don't know how to go about it, construction wise.

KrissieCakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:30am
post #12 of 13

On the cake in my pics I put them on florist wire to make them stand up. Only problem is that the 2's aren't straight! So when I made them I had to pinch them together at the bottom, bend the wire and stick it in sideways. That way the wire not only went through the bottom part, but it went part way up the curvy part of the 2. Does that make any sense? The one was easy, made in two parts and then the wire pushed through them both, holding them together. The 2 being so curvy though, it broke pretty easily. Make them pretty thick and make a backup or two!

SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:42am
post #13 of 13

Okay thanks for the tips...I'll definitly need to make extra icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%