Cake Websites Of Your Own...

Business By JaneDee Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm by dragonflydesserts

JaneDee Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 33

I just got inspected and all that good stuff over with and finally think I might have the time to set up a website for myself.

I was going to go with Go Daddy or Vista Print since I order stuff from them but I noticed vistaprint adds the "vp.com" and I would like it to be just ".com"

I also don't want something that's going to cost a ton.

My main questions are how in the world do I go about doing this? I don't understand the difference between just buying a domain name and actually having a website... And on go daddy it seems to be two seperate things! I am so confused now lol

I just know that I definitely don't want ads on my site (which means which are some good places you've bought your site from) and also I want it to just be ".com" at the end.

Thank you so much, and sorry if I sound confusing!

(I really wanted to go with Vistaprint so I could make my bus cards and all look alike so if you know another way to do so that'd be great!)

32 replies
MicheleH Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 33

I too, am confused about the whole web issue! I've finally given up and have asked someone my husband works with to do this for me on the side for a cost. To me it will be well worth it when I don't have a clue where to start. It is frustrating because I know what I want, just don't know how to accomplish it! I'll watch this topic to see what you find out!

JaneDee Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 33

Same here, it's like I know how I want everything to look and be I just don't have a clue about to do it! I too have someone who works with dh that offered to do it but I just want to do it all myself lol.

I'm starting to lean into letting him do it for me if I can't figure it out soon.

leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 33

Your domain name is like the address of your house.

Your website is your house.

You must have both.

The MOST important thing of all s that you own your domain name yourself and the second most important thing is that you have the ability to make edits yourself and not wait for a nother person to make them for you.

mixinvixen Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 33

i'm in the same boat. i hear these terms thrown around on here like html, meta tags, etc and i'm sitting here thinking "what the heck!!!". people ask all the time "do you have a website", and i've learned from being on here that over 95% of business seems to come from a site, so i know i definitely want to do this in the next couple of months.

i bought my domain names a few months back from godaddy. i chose three different ones (.com, .org, and .net) and now it's just trying to get this website thing figured out. i know i don't want a free one with limited templates, since i've never seen one, from memory, that screams high end like i want it to.

i'm definitely gonna be watching this thread...

JaneDee Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 33

Thank you leahs!

So usually you buy them separately I take it?

And do you recommend any sites to do so from?

Thank you so much, you described it so simply but I do get what you mean now!

jammjenks Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 33

Mine is hosted by vista print and there's no .vp or anything attached. I bought the middle package, so that it wouldn've have that. If I'm not mistaken, the cheapest package has the .vp tag.

mixinvixen Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 33

forgot to add that i would also like a website that i can easily change out info and pics on, and not have to go through a third party to do that, where it gets done on THEIR time line.

JaneDee Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 33

Oh okay then so I can just do the middle package from vp and get the .com.

I didn't really notice that when I did it probably because I was going for whatever was cheap lol ok

Now one thing I am a little confused about now is how you guys said being able to change stuff without going through someone else, do you mean like if I just have someone else do the website for me or do you mean that when I make the website that I might actually not be able to change things through them?

If anyone with a vp website knows what that is all about let me know... I guess I'll get the middle package from them as long as I can do as she said and change info and pics without going through someone else.

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:19am
post #10 of 33

It's not a case of you buy them separate. It's a case of they are sold separate. Shoes and socks ... go together, but sold separate.

You want a website that you can go into and make changes yourself. I make changes to mine almost weekly and if I had to wait on someone or worse, PAY someone, everytime I needed that done, it would be a waste of time to even HAVE a website.

It's not hard at all. I have mine thru register.com. My initial site was 5 pages for $4.95/month (I now have the 20 page one for $14.95/month). I know NOTHING about setting up websites and I had mine up and running in less than 2 hours. Most sites have very easy step by steps that walk you thru what you need.

But you really have to have a website. Most brides get their wedding info via the internet (most brides have no idea what a yellow pages book is). I will not do business with a company that doesnt' have a website.

When you're ready to really get it going, you need to SERIOUSLY put on your To-Do list to get it optimized. Some on here have done it themselves, but I paid a firm $1200 to do mine and I've MORE than gotten the money back. I just booked a dessert catering last week and the guy said he did a general search and I was the 2nd one listed. It's the kind of thing I thought I couldnt' afford and now that it's done, I look back and wonder how I survived without it.

mixinvixen Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #11 of 33

great advice, but you threw out another stumper of a word..."optimize"...i'm assuming from what you said that this means a company pulls a magic trick somehow that will make the search engines pull up my business at the top of the page when people are browsing...am i right?

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #12 of 33

yes. What this firm did was go into my website and added key words (in a hidden way .... you are unable to see these if you're just browsing the site) that enable my site to be found when someone searches for (example) Catering Indianapolis; Caterer Indianapolis; Cake Indianapolis; Wedding INdianapolis; wedding cake indianapolis ..... etc. Any word that someone would use if they were trying to find my type of business.

When they added this to my site, I went from not showing up at all to showing up in the top 5. On some sites, I'm #1.

RaziliaKingCakes22 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:46am
post #13 of 33

http://www.freesites.com.au/index.php?mod=Home
www.cakesbyrazilia.com

Hi just its in australia but me be its can help to y
I finch my web in 1 Mnt
razilia

miss-tiff Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:05am
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But you really have to have a website. Most brides get their wedding info via the internet (most brides have no idea what a yellow pages book is). I will not do business with a company that doesnt' have a website.

This is true. When I planned my own wedding I did it almost exclusively online - but not even just wedding planning, even now I do everything online from choosing restaurants to clothes. I might be lazy, but if a business doesn't have a site I do tend to pass them by. (My thinking in mentioning this is just, if I do it, others probably do, too!)

psurrette Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:06am
post #15 of 33

I use Web Piston for hosting its easy to set up ( takes time) easy to edit, they are very helpful with questions too. they charge 19.99 a month. you pick your address and thats it . I also bought 2 other web address names just in case people trype my address wong. I got them from go dady for 4 bucks a year. What happens if you your website is say cakes by paula but someone types cake by paula it will automaticly go to the right site. I havent had any problems with either companys.
Good Luck

Marianna46 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:10am
post #16 of 33

You can be sure you have plenty of lurkers on this thread -- that is, people like me who are extremely interested in this topic, but are still too in-the-dark about the whole business of websites to contribute to the discussion or to even ask intelligent questions. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've received a whole education just from what's been posted up to now. I can see that I'm going to need a website as soon as I "turn pro", and I'm already thinking about design. I'm not computer-illiterate, but the whole subject of websites has never come up before. You can bet I'll be watching for further posts. What a great place CC is! Where else in the world could you find so many people who know so much and who are so willing to share their knowledge? I´m hooked for life! (And when I get some knowledge of my own, I promise I'll share it, too!)

JaneDee Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:26am
post #17 of 33

Thank you so much! Once I get the little one in bed soon I'm going to look around on the ones mentioned and see if I can do this on my own after all!

Now for what psurrette said... Basically if I get my website and the website name (domain? right) from one website, I can go to go daddy and buy more domain names so in case someone spells it wrong or something it goes to the same site... How do you connect all those domain names together so they go to your main website?

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:28am
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I've received a whole education just from what's been posted up to now......What a great place CC is! Where else in the world could you find so many people who know so much and who are so willing to share their knowledge?

I know exactly how you feel! I read all the fondant threads for close to two years before I actually touched fondant for the first time. But because of all the shared information and the little tips I'd picked up just by reading about it, it was pretty simple and I had to admit how much fun it was to work with it!

leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:13am
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

yes. What this firm did was go into my website and added key words (in a hidden way .... you are unable to see these if you're just browsing the site)

Hey, I just looked at your keywords, 'cause I'm all magical like that. You've got double commas in between a lot of your keywords. They're just taking up real estate. Eliminate those and you might get another word in there if you have a limit on how many characters allowed. icon_smile.gif

And it's really simple to do . . .

You might want to add a revisit command. (probably every 30 days, so that the bots visit your site regularly for updates.)

drowsyrn Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #20 of 33

I was and still am very computer limited. When I started my business, I started my website with Homestead. It can be as low as $9.99 a month. They give you all kinds of tips on how to design it. It is really step by step on how to do it. I had no idea how to do it and I did mine all by myself...and that is saying something!! icon_surprised.gif

My site is listed below.

leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #21 of 33

It's generally easiest to buy all your domains from the same place. Then you "redirect" from all the extra domains to your primary domain (website.) Think of it like a forwarding address for your mail.

psurrette Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:33am
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDee

Thank you so much! Once I get the little one in bed soon I'm going to look around on the ones mentioned and see if I can do this on my own after all!

Now for what psurrette said... Basically if I get my website and the website name (domain? right) from one website, I can go to go daddy and buy more domain names so in case someone spells it wrong or something it goes to the same site... How do you connect all those domain names together so they go to your main website?

When you go to go daddy you tell them you want these website names and they will link those names right to your site.
For example I signed up with web piston with cakesbypaulasurrette
and realized it was to hard for people to remember
So I bought cakesbypaula and cakebypaula from go daddy and these two link to cakebypaulasurrette its really easy you dont need to do anything but pay for them

psurrette Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:35am
post #23 of 33

forgot to add that you can build a site before buying from web piston

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:52am
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Hey, I just looked at your keywords, 'cause I'm all magical like that. You've got double commas in between a lot of your keywords.

Hey Magic Lady! You know, I noticed that a lot of my links to other wedding vendors werent' working and when I looked at them, the actual website address portion was changed to double commas. That's the one part of self-maintenance that I just hate to have to go in and fix ... it's not hard, just takes quite a bit of time to edit this stuff.

Things that make ya go "Hmmmmm....!" icon_rolleyes.gif

cakelady15 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:42pm
post #25 of 33

I bought my domain name from godaddy.com for $9.99 a year and my hosting site from them for something like $4.99 a month. I paid for two years up front just so I didn't have to mess with it and they gave me a discount. I don't have any ads on my site and it's just a .com. They offer website templates for you, but I built my own using Microsoft Publisher. If you know how to use Power Point then you can build a website using Publisher. It's super easy and I control my entire website. I can update it anytime I want and they also make it easy to optimize every page on your website with just a few clicks of your mouse. I technically have 60 pages on my website right now and I don't get charged any extra because I'm not using a template from anyone else. It still downloads super fast and I did have an optimizing company take a look at it for me just to make sure I wasn't missing anything and they didn't have any recommendations for me to change. I'm not the best at computer stuff so if I can do it, anyone can. icon_smile.gif

aundron Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #26 of 33

I just signed up with vista print to do a website. In order to get the .com, you would need to sign up for the standard or premium to get the domain name you would like, I think I'm paying 10.00 per month for everything. It's really easy and they have all the templates and directions to set up your website. You also can go in and change stuff whenever you feel like it. HTH icon_smile.gif

Oh, I also had an account with go daddy, but I just couldn't figure out how to do anything. I have brain farts from time to time, so that might have been the problem!! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm
post #27 of 33

Yaknow, I'm pretty computer savvy, and I couldn't figure out anything on GoDaddy either!!

KHalstead Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #28 of 33

I have my domain name www.tinassugarshack.com through Go Daddy.com, but I set up a "free" website through freewebs (now called webs.com) and actually designed a whole other website with a program that I paid for and couldn't find a cheap webhost....I work out of my home (legally) and didn't want to spend more than 5-10 dollars a month on my webhost.....couldn't find anything, so I wound up keeping the freewebs site and just had my domain name rerouted to the freewebs site and then paid freewebs 4.95/month to have no ads...they give you a webstore and everything and it is very simple to use. You can check out my site if you'd like...I have been taught NOTHING about computers, everything I know is just from trial and error and like indydebi said I add stuff to my site weekly and sometimes daily!

Melvira Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:43pm
post #29 of 33

I use GoDaddy and am very happy with them. Whether or not you can get 'just .com' depends completely on whether that name is already used. For example, you can get Microsoft.com because someone else is already using that. Maybe your name is available as a .com, maybe it's not, you have to check to find out. (Sorry if someone already said that, I kind of skimmed the responses)

Anyway, with GoDaddy, I bought my domain name (my address) for under $10 a year, then bought my 'space' that the website exists on for under a hundred a year for the 'deluxe' hosting. (There are cheaper options of course.) I have no advertising like a free website, I have NEVER had downtime caused by them, etc. I love it. I have a web programming degree, but simply because of the time factor I chose to make an easy website using Frontpage. I make changes several times a week sometimes... adding new pictures of things as I make them etc. It doesn't cost a penny for me to do that, and it's super simple! I recommend it as an option whether you are computer savvy or a novice. It's easy to do!

tx_cupcake Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #30 of 33

My DH is professional blogger, and is pretty computer savvy. He purchased his domain through Go Daddy as well. They have excellent customer service.

He always advises people who want to start a website to use Wordpress (he makes fun of my sad little Blogger site) because you can get slick looking templates, and WP is designed for the computer illiterate so it's easy for the lay person to update.

I'm planning to do this in the coming year when my business gets up and running, since right now all I have is a blog.

Also, if you want a really professional site, you may want to check out http://www.elance.com/. You can post a project you would like quotes on, and web designers from all over the world will compete for your business. You can get really good deals on there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%