What Would You Order From The Uk?

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 7

I have a good friend moving here from the UK in a couple of weeks. I want to order some Tappits from FMM, so she can bring them out with her. I was wondering if there's anything else that's difficult to get hold of that I should also order? (bear in mind I have to pay duty & HIGH shipping on anything that comes from the US)

Thanks for any suggestions.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 7

Oh boy! icon_smile.gif That's a tall order....
It depends on what kind of decorating you do.
Get on a good UK site and go crazy looking thru their catalogs.
Do you do weddings? Have her get you a few of their magazines. To have them shipped (to the US) it runs around $20 a copy icon_sad.gif The ones I am familiar w/have no instructions, just pix. If you can work off that go for iticon_smile.gif
Also there are many, many books that are hard or expensive to get here. Hpe these suggestions help some.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 7

http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/search.asp?searchtext=cookie+cutters
i think these look great, apparently not available in the usa either.
maybe some moulds? tools? cutters?
xx

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 7

I ordered Tappits to Ontario from the UK - to have them ship it to me - and it wasn't all that unreasonable. I ordered a good number of them too. I got them in less than a week and did not feel particularly shafted by the shipping. I guess maybe I expected it to be more from there??

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 7

I don't know what you can and can't get where you are but i've noticed a lot of people complaining about red colouring.
I would recommend Squires red extra and black extra paste colours, I use them all the time. icon_lol.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 7

how about gold/ silver dagrees - i dont know if you can get them in canada?
xx

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will definitely go with the Tappits, since they seem to be a bit cheaper there (good exchange rate at the moment, too). Not sure if I can ask her to bring magazines too, I'll ask how much space she can spare me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%