Why Isnt My Crusting Buttercream, Not Crusting!! Lol

Decorating By sweetcheeks75 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm by Cakepro

sweetcheeks75 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all im am new here and also new to baking. I am making my 3rd cake today. icon_biggrin.gif . (baking is so addicting!!) Anyways, my buttercream has always crusted up before, but I think the humidity here in cypress, tx is affecting it?? icon_confused.gif . Any tips to help move it along so i can get to smoothing it. I really want to have this decorated for my DH when he gets home from work.

OH i use Reene's crusting buttercream, so far thats the one i really like.
Thanks!!!

12 replies
JanH Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 13

A quick search of the recipes section didn't provide Reenes b/c recipe. Can you provide a link?

Did you made any substitutions to the recipe. Did you use all the powdered sugar called for.

If you've made the recipe before and it crusted, the humidity is the culprit. Try adding more powdered sugar to compensate for the humidity.

HTH

DianeLM Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 13

Was your cake chilled when you iced it? If so, it will take some time (sometimes hours) for the condensation to evaporate and the icing to crust.

If chilling isn't the problem, then I've got nuthin. I don't know where Cypress is, but I saw last night that East Texas is up to 100% humidity. Yuck! I'd need SCUBA gear just to get out of bed!

sweetcheeks75 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 13

Yikes my cake was cold when I iced it. Double yikes it is pretty humid!!
And i guess putting it back in the fridge wasnt the best idea?!

Cypress is NW of Houston icon_smile.gif

Thanks ya'll!

sweetcheeks75 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 13

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3013-129-Reenies-Crusting-Buttercream.html

I think i spelled the author's name wrong it is Reenies Crusting butter cream. I tend to mix the crisco and butter for at least ten mins, it gets rid of the greasy taste

Bonnell Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 13

Hey there Sweetcheeks75!

I'm southeast of Houston and it is so humid I felt like I was swimming when I went outside this morning. That has to be a big part of your problem. I'm fairly new to this decorating business also but in the past I have resorted to putting my cakes in the freezer for a few minutes to get them to crust. I don't think that's the best solution but sometimes that is the only way I can get mine to crust.

sweetcheeks75 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnell

Hey there Sweetcheeks75!

I'm southeast of Houston and it is so humid I felt like I was swimming when I went outside this morning. That has to be a big part of your problem. I'm fairly new to this decorating business also but in the past I have resorted to putting my cakes in the freezer for a few minutes to get them to crust. I don't think that's the best solution but sometimes that is the only way I can get mine to crust.

LOL Glad to see a houston gal on here! And we even have the same birthday!!
I'm going to shove it in the freezer for a couple of mins and see what happens. I have absolutely nothing to do right now and I'm dying to decorate this cake
Thanks!!
Vee-

SharonK1973 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 13

I grew up in Belize that is more humid than Houston, for sure! And what I did there was set the cakes in front of an oscillating fan (that wasn't oscillating) That helped ALOT! Even if you had it in the fridge. The frosting keeps the cake from drying out by the wind the fan is blowing on it. Hope it works out well!

Lelka Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 13

The only difference I see in her recipe and regular Wilton BC is the butter flavor. And it's doubled. So I don't know why it wouldn't crust. Try adding a bit more of powdered sugar? But not too much. I usually use a "finger tip" test. I mix my BC and let it sit for a few minutes in the bowl. After few minutes I touch the surface with my finger and if it sticks I add a bit more of sugar and if it doesn't I am ready to go icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 13

Houston here, too. Right now it's probably humid in your house because the temps outside haven't been high enough to cause the A/C to kick on. Lower your thermostat a few degrees and let the air conditioning remove the humidity from the house. As Sharon said, fans work wonders too.

If you do put your cake in the fridge or freezer, when you bring it out and it warms to room temperature, you run the risk of having condensation form on the icing....which is exactly what you don't want. Removing the humidity from the environment and/or having a fan blowing over the icing to speed evaporation is best.

sweetcheeks75 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 13

great advice!! and yes my ac wasnt on, it is now!! icon_biggrin.gif I have not been thinking straight all day from lack of sleep. Last night as I was baking some chickens to get ahead on my cooking for next week, I sloshed some of the chicken juices onto my gas stove top. icon_eek.gif All of a sudden the pilot keep trying to come on, by itself! I kept turning the knobs to make sure everything was off. But it kept making that popping noise. Needless to say I had to shut off the gas value, shut off the electricity, and dismantle the stove top and pull the plug thats connected to all the pilots. After all that it was about 1:00. Its a new house, had to find the breaker box, find tools and pray i wasnt about to fry myself!! So now without a stove, or oven I dont have to cook tonight icon_biggrin.gif . So i have free time to decorate my cake!! But am having to wait on my buttercream!! icon_cry.gif

Let me go make a margarita!!

Bonnell Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 13

Yeah, putting in the freezer was not the best solution but I was desperate. I like the idea of the fan, hadn't thought of that one. Great to see some other Houstonians on this site. Anyone a member of the Houston Cake Club? I just joined and will be attending the meeting next week (2/24).

Cakepro Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 13

Yes, I'm a member of the HCC but I won't be there next week. I plan on attending the March meeting though. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%