First Time With Cake Dummies - Any Tips

Decorating By pinkpiggie78 Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 2:16am by klutz

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 5

While I am waiting for my kitchen to be inspected, I am hoping to "practice" some designs using cake dummies. Does anyone have any advice or tips concerning them? I saw someone say to cover them in press n seal for easy cleanup... do I buttercream them first? I was just hoping to use fondant...

4 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 5

There are a gazillion other posts with this question so I know there are many ways to go about covering dummy cakes.

This is what I do: file the edges off gently with an emery board( to help prevent the fondant from ripping), coat the top and sides of the styrofoam with shortening, then cover with fondant.

I've also covered dummies with buttercream directly on the styrofoam. Works just fine.

KimAZ

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 5

i use a spritz of water from a spray bottle or piping gel to "glue" the fondant down.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

This is what I do: file the edges off gently with an emery board( to help prevent the fondant from ripping

I used to do this too, but recently I went to an ICES Day of Sharing and another decorator used an iron (just on warm) with parchment paper between the two...you would be amazed at how effortlessly she rounded those edges down (and those annoying lines that often times run down the sides...gone in a flash!).

klutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutz Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #5 of 5

love the iron thing. i hate those lines down the sides, they make such a pretty dummy look...well...like a dummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%