Can You ...

Decorating By catin Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm by kakeladi

catin Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 6

replace the light corn syrup with regular corn syrup when you make homemade fondant ? Is it necessary to put gelatin in fondant?

or Can someone please tell me a easy inexpensive way to make homemade fondant without using marshmallows?

5 replies
Ballymena Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 6

Replacing the lite corn syrup with regular will add some color to your fondant which you don't want. Yes gelatin is necessary.
Do a search on CC for Michelle Foster's Delicious Fondant, it's the best I've found so far, I personally am not a fan of MMF.

catin Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 6

Just a thought ... Can the gelatin be replaced by Jello. I'm not to concerned that the color will not be white ... I will be coloring it different colors afterwards .

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 6

Whatever flavor Jello you would use will color it.......therefore any further coloring you want to add will effect the outcome.
Put lemon Jello in - you get yellow.......add blue and it will turn green, etc.
Also, Jello has a ton of sugar in it. That will change/effect the recipe.
Have you tried rolled b'cream? I have *the original* recipe by the lady who created rolled b'cream some 40 yrs ago.... Charlotte Collins.

catin Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 6

kakeladi - That would be great if you could share that recipe ... I'm trying to find different fondant recipes cause I'm really getting tired of the Marshmallow fondant .

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 6

Here it is; have fun:
Charlotte Collins Rolled Icing
This is a recipe for Fondant from the mid 1960s well before it become popularicon_smile.gif Want to try it?

1/3 Cup shortening 1/3 Cup white Karo syrup
1 teaspoon flavoring 1/2 tsp salt
Juice of 1/2 of a fresh lemon (strained)
3/4 pound powdered sugar *divided use
In a large bowl place all ingredients except sugar. Stir this together with a spoon until well blended. Add 1 cup sugar & blend w/spoon until well blended. Add another 1 Cup sugar.
Mixture will become thick & you can now use your hands to knead as you keep adding sugar 1 cup at a time until you have used *almost* a pound about 3/4.
The more one works/kneads this the smoother & shinier it becomes. Roll icing between two sheet of wax paper. Peel off one piece. Using the other sheet, lift icing onto cake & peel off. Can color as one would buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%