Cake Tasting Help

Business By THECAKEPLACE Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 10:00pm by tarheelgirl

THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 10

I really don't want my clientele to come to my house for cake tasting, is it alright to meet them somewhere or maybe take them to olive garden or something? any suggestions or advice would be great.

9 replies
-Tubbs Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 10

There are a couple of great threads about this - do a search for 'tastings' and see what comes up.

Plenty of people feel the way you do. It's a hassle to clean up, hide the dog, get the kids out of the way etc etc. I have met clients at Starbucks before, for consultations and given them sample cupcakes to take home. I wouldn't want to set out a nice plate and cake arrangement there, though!

THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 10

Tubbscookies do you think it will be fine and "professional" if we made an appointment at there house?

-Tubbs Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, then they get to clean up, kick out the dog and kids, etc etc icon_lol.gif

Just ensure you take the usual safety precautions (letting someone know where you're going etc). Personally, I'd prefer to do it somewhere public...

THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 10

what about signing the contract do i do all that at there house also ? on the same day? or after the tasting? I think I am going crazy!!!

Deb_ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 10

It sounds like your first tasting. If you do agree to go to their house or a public place, be sure to have everything organized and well thought out beforehand. Bring your laptop if you can and take notes. I usually quote at the tasting, while they are eating, I'm figuring out the price based on the design, flavors etc.

Some couples book on the spot with a check, others are still shopping around and aren't ready to put a deposit down at the tasting. If the latter is the case, I send out an e-mail a couple of days later thanking them for considering me, with a reminder that their date is not considered booked in my date book until a deposit is received. If they don't respond, I figure they have ordered elsewhere.

I do all my tastings in my home, I feel more comfortable having all my stuff within reach. My dummies are set up, I have albums of pics and it's a more controlled environment. Do you have a room in your home that you could set up for tastings? To me, it's just more convenient then having to drive around and meet people at a public place where there are too many distractions.

Starbucks doesn't mind people bringing cake samples in to their dining rooms? Wow, that's kind of incredible seeing they sell their own baked goods.

-Tubbs Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by dkelly

Starbucks doesn't mind people bringing cake samples in to their dining rooms? Wow, that's kind of incredible seeing they sell their own baked goods.

Right! That's why I give them a box of samples to take home. I wouldn't feel comfortable unpacking and setting up a nice plate of different flavours right in front of the counter! Handing over a pretty box of yummies to take home is fine though. And following the other threads about this, it seems that lots of clients don't like to eat in front of the baker anyway...

Deb_ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 10

Oh I get it. That makes sense now, I didn't think a restaurant would appreciate someone bringing in food.

True it is uncomfortable to sit there watching them eat. I usually leave them and go write up the quote. I tell them to just call out if they need me for anything. I like to see their reactions though, it's kind of fun. I offer them a choice of coffee/tea, milk, soft drinks, juice or water to wash it down.

THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 10

That is such a great idea tubbscookie, i would never have thought of that! The dollar store has adorable boxes and Tupperware there. Shoot i can even get personalized boxes. thanks so much both of you!!

tarheelgirl Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 10

I have done about 5 tastings total! I do them at a small coffee shop. It is actually really nice with a fire place and the section is in the back away from the crowd. I take my tray of samples and offer them water or coffee while they do the tasting. The coffee shop does sell muffins and cookies but have never had an issue with me doing tastings there. I actually sit there for about an hour or until the client is done. Then I present the contract and if they are not ready to sign right then they get a copy to take. I have booked 4 out of 5 doing it like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%