Cake Boards?

Decorating By jimandmollie Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm by cakesbykitty

jimandmollie Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 6

I know I saw a thread at some point giving some tips about making cake boards but I forgot to mark it to read later. What are you guys using to make thick cake boards? Is it plywood or is there a trick I am missing? I am making an apple crate next weekend and I would love to make a board covered in fondant to go with it. What do I make the board out of?

Thanks for all the info! This site is awesome!

5 replies
jammjenks Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 6

Some people use wood, some use masonite boards, some use 1/2 inch foam core. Whatever is sturdy enough is fine. If I'm doing a heavy cake, I usually use 1/2 inch plywood. My local lumbaryard will cut me an 18X18 or so for less than $5.

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 6

Yep......she^^^^'s got the right idea. It does depend a bit on the size of the cake.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 6

I usually use two or three sheets of cardboard. If I know I am going to making an especially heavy cake, I'll use plywood as well.

jimandmollie Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all the info everyone! I think I will have to go to Lowe's and get some plywood and then dig out my trusty circular saw for sure! This apple cake is gonna be a heavy one! lol icon_smile.gif

Appreciate it!

cakesbykitty Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 6

foam board from the craft shop if i know it won't get back to me or masonite if i know they'll return it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%