Don't Be A Customer Service Rep If Your An......

Lounge By cakes22 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 4:57am by bizatchgirl

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 47

Idiot! icon_twisted.gif
This is a major pet peeve of mine icon_mad.gif . I just called my local Michaels store cause they are offering Wilton classes in March for 50% (or something like that). Anyhow, the customer service rep I spoke to was sooo rude.
Here is the play by play:

Ring ring:
CCR: "Hello & Thank you for calling Michaels, how may I direct your call?
me: "I would like some information on the March Wilton classes please."
CCR: "What do you want to know?"
me: "Times? When are they & are spots still available?"
CCR: "I've got nothing til' April" click.

Nice! People can be so rude. If you don't want to deal with people & or can't curb your own bad mood & not take it out on someone else, maybe Customer Service isn't the job for you.

Needed to vent....... thanx CC'ers.

46 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 47

I really hate it when CS people are rude, and/or if they don't know what they are talking about.

Another big peeve these days are the ones who cannot speak english...I'm not talking about an accent, I'm talking about they just plain cannot speak english!

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I really hate it when CS people are rude, and/or if they don't know what they are talking about.

Another big peeve these days are the ones who cannot speak english...I'm not talking about an accent, I'm talking about they just plain cannot speak english!

What is up w/that lately? Customer Serv. Rep. w/such a bad accent that I can't tell that their speaking English. I have to keep repeating that I dont understand them. They think I'm crazy.

I hear ya!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 47

The no English thing drives me bananas. I hate when they answer, and its a jumble of words that you have no idea what they said. So you start the call with "Excuse me?"

One time I called T-Mobile to downgrade our service. My DH had internet on the phone, and we didn't realize it cost $50/month. The idiot was not understandable. But I told him what I wanted, and he told me that phone wouldn't work without internet. I said that didn't make sense, and that I thought it should and he goes "Oh! It will?" I was like "You're the customer service rep, you tell me." He says "I don't know. Will you call back and tell me if it works? My name is XXX." icon_lol.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 47

The reason that most CSR's don't speak english anymore is because so many big companies have moved their CS areas to foreign countries because its cheaper to operate. The next time that I call and can't understand that person I am going to ask for another CSR and another and another until I get someone who speaks english! Maybe if we all keep doing this, they will realize that they are paying people to do nothing if they don't speak plain english!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

The reason that most CSR's don't speak english anymore is because so many big companies have moved their CS areas to foreign countries because its cheaper to operate. The next time that I call and can't understand that person I am going to ask for another CSR and another and another until I get someone who speaks english! Maybe if we all keep doing this, they will realize that they are paying people to do nothing if they don't speak plain english!!

My DH works for Bank of America, they have outsourced so much work to India that he's constantly having "translation" issues with his coworkers. I hear him on a conference call getting more and more irritated, sometimes he just tells them to e-mail him because he has NO IDEA what they're saying. It's not their fault, the poor things are trying their best, they don't understand him either icon_rolleyes.gif

This is the way these companies are doing it now unfortunately, it's all about the bottom line. They pay these poor souls next to nothing, they don't pay healthcare or 401K contributions and meanwhile they're laying off thousands of Americans who used to do these jobs. It's pretty scary to see all our jobs going over seas.

veejaytx Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 47

After receiving four phone calls (on caller ID) from the same place, I finally picked up the phone yesterday, just to see who the heck it was.

A man's voice says something to me in some jibberish! I say, just a moment let me mute the TV, I couldn't hear you. So, I mute the TV, and say sorry, I couldn't hear you. Then he repeats the jibberish. I say, I'm sorry, I can't understand you so I'm hanging up! He says something to the effect of who he is and more jibberish.

I say I do not deal with people when I cannot understand what they are saying to me. Please remove me from your phone list. As I'm hanging up, he is still talking to me, and I still have no idea who he was or who he was calling for, and I really don't care. Going out of the country may be cheaper, but I can't see that it is very effective.

On the caller ID it said "Jaina Call INDI" with a 646 area code. Any guesses who they were?

janelwaters Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 47

clearly someone from India! haha!! It just kills me!! It makes me so mad that these companies are doing exactly that - laying off Americans to take their business overseas! I understand that its cheaper - but, it still pisses me off!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 47

Yep, Janel. With the unemployment rate here in the US skyrocketing, and these mega companies having people overseas doing jobs we should be doing.
My DH worked for Citi Group last year (quit before the WHOLE team was laid off) and was in charged of managing some of the overseas programmers. It was pretty impossible for him.

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #10 of 47

A few years ago, a man who spoke broken English called and asked for DH. I simply said, "He's not here. Can I take a message?" He hesitated before saying, "Ma'am, you speak English?" icon_surprised.gif Can you believe that? I know I'm a fast talker (not in a bad way icon_wink.gif ) but he had the nerve to ask ME if I spoke English! I quickly said "No" and hung up thumbs_up.gif

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:39am
post #11 of 47

I had a phone call like that recently. The guy was trying to get me to sign up for my prescriptions through him (??). I said (truthfully) "I don't take any medications, thanks anyways." He kept trying, "Ma'am, can I give you my number so you'll call me?" I tried to say no and he said, "Ma'am? Can you listen to me?" I was getting frustrated by then and told him, "Gee, I'm sure trying! But I can hardly understand you!"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #12 of 47

A real giveaway, too, is when they repeat the phone number back to you. My area code is 317 and when they say "three seventeen" ..... icon_eek.gif

Come on .... nobody repeats a number like that!

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:47am
post #13 of 47

:sigh:

Unfortunately for us CSRs, most customers think of us as 'idiots' before we even open our mouths.

I'm not pointing fingers here, by the way, either.

Over the weekend at my job... I had a gentleman stand at the BACK of my booth behind me and WHISTLE for my attention. When I finally turned around and saw him, I asked him if he needed help, and instead of even a 'yes' he just pointed at my ticket center POS...like I didn't speak English or something, or maybe because I didn't notice him standing there ('cause, ya know, I have eyes in the back of my head and everything icon_confused.gif ) I didn't deserve an audible response...

Guess what? The show he was looking for was sold clear out. Both shows, in fact.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:27am
post #14 of 47

I never ask for help in a store because the people that work there have either never heard of the item I'm looking for (and we're talking basic items here, nothing out of the ordinary) or they have heard of the item and know they saw it around here somewhere which means they have absolutely no idea where it is and here we go wandering around the store together.

If I'm going wander around the store looking for something, I'd rather do it alone because I like to haul ass and get out of there and I don't need someone else slowing me down.

veejaytx Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:43am
post #15 of 47

You're right, snowboarder, you might as well not ask for help/information, because most of the employees don't have a clue!

Even in our local stores, it is more and more difficult to find a person who speaks understandable english, much less who knows where things are.
I have to shop using the riding carts, and if I need to ask where something is, I'd rather ask another shopper, they come nearer knowing the answer, and are more willing to help than the employees.

indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:54am
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

..... and if I need to ask where something is, I'd rather ask another shopper, they come nearer knowing the answer, and are more willing to help than the employees.

I was ordering a case of Dream Whip at my local walmart and the guy I was talking to (and I'd spoken with him a number of times) didn't know what Dream Whip was. So I'm trying to explain it and he needs to see it so he can scan the bar code to place my order. It was funny, because he had no idea where it was and I had to tell him (are you ready?).....

"Aisle 8, top shelf, blue and white box, above the marshmellows, next to the jello." icon_lol.gif

janelwaters Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:58am
post #17 of 47

I don't usually h ave problems with employees in a store - its the phone CSR's in India etc that I have a problem with.

If I need help in a store, I will ask and if they don't know or act like they're not sure - I just say nevermind. I was in Toys R Us shopping on black Friday weekend (I know I'm nuts!) and there were 3 things that I needed help with/couldn't find and the guy that I asked knew EXACTLY what I was talking about and EXACTLY where to find it! He was amazing!! What suprised me the most was that this guy was probably in his early 20's, I'm pretty sure he didn't have kids and wasn't at the age to play with the toys I was asking about - He still knew what I was talking about!!

Ok enough raving about the cute boy - I MEAN the very nice employee that helped me at Toys R Us! It just seems to me that people know more that you give them credit for in a store (with the exception of Wal-Mart!! - I'm not sure their employees know where the bathroom is!).

So, lets start a grassroots effort to get the large companies to bring their CS departments back to America and employ Americans!! Don't talk to the CSR if you don't understand them - ask for someone who speaks english and don't do business with these companies if at all possible! Man ya'll got me fired up!! haha!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:05pm
post #18 of 47
Quote:

So, lets start a grassroots effort to get the large companies to bring their CS departments back to America and employ Americans!! Don't talk to the CSR if you don't understand them - ask for someone who speaks english and don't do business with these companies if at all possible! Man ya'll got me fired up!! haha!!

I'm with ya on this one, except pretty much all the major banks and insurance companies are off shoring to India.

Do you know they have cruise ships that have been retired from cruising just outside our boundaries in International waters filled with programmers? While some of my DH's Senior Programmers are paid an average of $100k, the Programmers on these ships earn about $16 an hr. He has had so many problems with these programmers, some of them even lie about having degrees from colleges in India that don't even exist. I guess they figure the bank won't check.

The higher up execs at Bank of America have informed management that if they're not willing to train these overseas programmers, they may as well write their resignation letter and turn it in. They will not tolerate their employees not cooperating in the training process. So basically you train people in India to take your job, then they lay you off. Really nice isn't it?

The reality is unless Americans know a person in this field, the average American doesn't even know the extent of the off shoring going on in this country. It's kind of scary to know all our financial information is thousands of miles away in a foreign Country. As if we don't have enough problems.

janelwaters Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:21pm
post #19 of 47

I'm so glad that I always work with small community banks - they are not big enough to out source! I like knowing the face of the person I am talking to about my money also! (not that I have much to discuss these days!)

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #20 of 47

I had to call comcast last night.

I figured I'd try their live online help. The person spoke broken English. Reading it was painful. We lost our remote and can't reach the cable box because we have it up high and so I wanted it replaced. They can sent it to me for $10 plus S&H. Tell them no and close chat.

I call their customer service department and tell them my situation and asked if the guy coming today could bring one. The guy tells me "no worries they carry them on their truck just ask for one. "I won't be charged" "Nope, is there anything else". "Yes why did the live chat tech support rep want to charge me for it" *pause* "Please don't use live chat." - AHHHH! That said it all.

That my cake friends is the difference in international help and help in the good old USA. The phone call went to their 24/7 help center based in an office 70 minutes from my front door. thumbs_up.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:05pm
post #21 of 47

My pet peeve is having to press "1" for English... Hello, this is the USA. When I go out of town, I don't expect anyone to understand me, so anyone that comes here should learn English!! An accent, I understand. My grandparents came her in their 30's, with their parents, and they learned English. And if I did press "1", at least the CSR should actually speak English!! I have already asked to be transfered to someone in the USA, it has worked more than once!

There was one bank, that when you called, the picked up "Good morning, thanx for calling the xxx bank. this is jane doe from the Cincinnati calling center", saying which American city they were in. I know this was true, cause you could understand them, and they even discussed the weather there, the news, etc. one guy was telling me that he used to live near where i live, he knew my neighborhood, it was so cool!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:14am
post #22 of 47

I had to pick up my transcript from the State University during the summer because after 3 tries they still did not mail out the right document. So, I wait in line, when it is my turn I tell them what I need and in broken English I am told to step to the side and wait until they can find someone to speak English to me! What? If you are working in a State, government job one of the languages you should speak is ENGLISH.

I also understand Indydebi's situation. I was in the supermarket and overheard another customer ask where an item was found. The worker didn't know and then told her to try 3 different places in 3 different areas of the store. For Pete's sake, didn't he notice the woman was physically handicapped and was having trouble walking??? I butted in, told her I was going to the aisle myself and if she waited a minute I would bring it to her.What do these workers think they get paid to do? Look pretty?

I must say though 95 per cent of the time the people I deal with are very helpful and nice.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #23 of 47

I'm sure they're all nice people, but there are ESL classes wherever you are, and it's not so hard to learn the basics of the language - no, they don't have to become English professors. There is no reason why i should have to learn another language to be able to live in the USA

indydebi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

There is no reason why i should have to learn another language to be able to live in the USA

And that's why I refuse to order a "grande" in that one famous coffee place. I hold my hand so-far above the counter and say "one about that big".

And it's not just foreign languages. Ever notice how you have to know a whole new language just to order coffee? I ordered a vanilla cappucino and she asked me 3 questions, the only one I remember was if I wanted it wet or dry. It's coffee!! Last I looked, it came WET! I just looked at her and said, "I don't understand one word of what you just said." Of course my 16 year old was mortified.

And then there's the crappola about you never know if small is large or medium is small. Again, I do the hand above the counter and say "one about that big."

Good lord, if you're going to speak English, can you at least speak it in ENglish??? icon_eek.gif

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #25 of 47
Quote:

So, lets start a grassroots effort to get the large companies to bring their CS departments back to America and employ Americans!! Man ya'll got me fired up!! haha!!

I'm w/ya. What we gotta do? icon_wink.gif

janelwaters Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #26 of 47

I'm w/ya. What we gotta do?

OK - so I say, the next time you call a Customer Service department and you get someone who does not speak english - keep asking to speak with someone else until you get an english speaking person. AND - if possible, don't do business with the companies that ship American jobs overseas - and make sure that you tell the company that is why you won't do business with them anymore!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:21am
post #27 of 47

It's so funny what pushes people's buttons!

LOL, if saying a single word in Italian at Starbucks unnerves you that much, maybe you should stick to ordering your coffee from McDonald's. Goodness gracious! LOL (By the way, the word cappuccino is Italian too. icon_biggrin.gif)

As much as I hate American jobs being outsourced to foreign countries, I must say that 99% of the Indian people with whom I speak on the phone are exceptionally polite. American phone reps could learn a thing or two from their Indian colleagues.

The biggest problem with low-wage workers is just plain apathy. If I were stuck stocking shelves at Mega Lo Mart or stuffing French fries into boxes at Mickey D's, I would probably have that same "who gives a rat's ass?" attitude too. That's what I try to keep foremost in my mind when dealing with an apathetic or clueless $7/hr worker. Sucks to be them.

My hot-button issue is grocery store sackers who fail to treat fruit and vegetables gently, and those who put raw meat in bags with other items.

I buy approximately $100 worth of produce a week at one particular store where I usually don't shop for other items, and somehow manage to always get the sacker who puts 8 large grapefruit on top of my ripe tomatoes and who puts the onions or potatoes or heads of green cabbage in with ripe peaches or plums. HELLO? Just yesterday, I made my weekly produce purchase but also picked up some ground round. Not only did she put a dozen large apples on top of my perfectly-ripe avocados, but this 40+ year old woman also put the raw meat in with some of the other apples. OMG. I mean, I can understand some clueless teenager doing it but come on, a middle-aged woman who surely does her own grocery shopping?

LOL. I hate bitchfest threads because I always envision that grizzled old Maxine character griping her fool head off all the time and I don't ever want to be one of those bitchy old hens but I am really PMS'ing today and that was fun. Thanks OP! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:31am
post #28 of 47

icon_lol.gif cakepro, I could just envision Maxine reciting your post! Yes, it was fun .... fun for me to see others get on a roll, too! Luv'd it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I had someone at one of the warehouse places smash my dinner rolls that I bought for a wedding. icon_mad.gif And after I had carefully placed them in my cart because they had just come out of the oven (I special order my wedding rolls).

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:35am
post #29 of 47

Hahaha, I protect my loaves of bread like precious babies....I couldn't imagine having someone carelessly smash rolls purchased for a catering job. Egads!!

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:30am
post #30 of 47

The reality is, outsourcing is here to stay. The CSR may be Indian, Chinese, Filipino... They could be from any country where there is an abundance of English speaking graduates.

Most of us Indians have learnt English in schools and colleges, started by and run by the British. The standard of English is extremely high. Educated Indians usually speak grammatically correct English and their vocabulary is very wide.

And, like Cakepro posted, most are "exceptionally polite". Indians are extremely hardworking and technically very sound.

IMO, the accent might be the problem. Some of you, on CC have also commented that my English is very formal, and my sentences are long and complex.

Earlier in the thread, someone posted They pay these poor souls next to nothingThe fact is, that people can live a decent life on what they get paid. The cost of living is not as high as it is in America, and what the American companies do pay, is not charity or exploitation.

All of us have complained about CSRs before, even when Call Centres in India/China/ Philipines had not even started.
When I lived in Singapore in 1999, I remember talking to a CSR based in Dallas, to solve a technical problem I was having with some equipment. He could not understand my problem and I could not understand a word he said.
Its possible I didnt get his accent, or maybe my description of the problem was not clear enough.

But I would not immediately classify all US based CSRs as stupid.

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%