What Butter Cream Is Your Favorite?

Decorating By LadyG33 Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 6:57pm by lostincake

LadyG33 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 29

What is the butter cream you use for all your cakes? There are so many listed in the recipe section to choose from so I thought I'd get a tally of what everyone else loves to use so I can narrow down a recipe to try.

Thanks ladies icon_biggrin.gif

28 replies
tiggy2 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 29

Definately indydebi's recipe. However, I use hiratio instead of crisco and sugarshack's hot creamer mixture instead of milk. Makes the smoothest, creamiest icing and it tastes so good.

MomLittr Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 29

Toba Garrett's decorator buttercream from her book. I substitute the water (or milk) with heavy cream and it makes the icing, especially vanilla, heavenly!

sarahokie Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 29

I usually make sugarshack's recipe using crisco. I liked indydebi's too. Next time I'll try indydebi's made like tiggy2 said.

LadyG33 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:14am
post #5 of 29

I watched sugarshack make her butter cream on youtube and thought it looked great. But I like your idea Tiggy in combineing hers with Indydebis I may have to try that. thumbs_up.gif

cakes22 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 29

indydebi's & I use highratio shortening as well. The best for me so far (thanks btw indydebi icon_biggrin.gif )

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 29

I like Whimisical Bakehouse House recipe.It reminds me of whipped Bakery icing that does not crust and isn't sweet.

cas17 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 29

sugarshack's (flavored lots of different ways) and indydebi's made with hi ratio and hot coffee creamer if i need a stronger vanilla flavor. however, when i color indydebi's i have to be careful as it's a little bit on the yellow side.

lainalee Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 29

I love Sugarshack's and I just switch up the flavoring, either with the creamer, or just mixing up my extracts. Never fails.

saap1204 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 29

I love Indydebi's buttercream--sometimes I make it with half butter and half Crisco. For chocolate buttercream, Toba Garrett's is the best.

LadyG33 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 29

I am a novice can someone explain to me the difference between hi-ratio shorting and regular Crisco?

zoomzone Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:45am
post #12 of 29

There are a million different answers- all depends on personal taste!
I LOVE the recipe by seriouscakes.

Frankyola Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:59am
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

indydebi's & I use highratio shortening as well. The best for me so far (thanks btw indydebi icon_biggrin.gif )

Ditto Indidebi's my favorite and I use highratio shortening too thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

lchristi27 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #14 of 29

I just started using one that is more butter than shortening. It doesnt stick around here too long. The best tasting I think!

sarah0418 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:05am
post #15 of 29

Now, I know I'm probably not in the majority here....but, I didn't care for the taste of Indydebi's icing when I made it. I just have a hard time with all that shortening and no butter. Mond you, I do not make wedding cakes or anything like that. I mostly do birthday cakes and holiday cakes. So, I don't have the need for my icing to stand up to heat/humidity.
That being said, I found the recipe for Buttercream Dream and doctored it up using Indydebi's addition of Dream Whip and I called it Doctored Buttercream Dream.
It is SOOO good, I could eat it with a spoon!

Frankyola Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleG

I am a novice can someone explain to me the difference between hi-ratio shorting and regular Crisco?

also known as cake, icing or high ratio shortening, can absorb more sugar and liquid than regular shortening. It gives a finer and smoother texture to cakes and help keep them moist, as well as keeps icings more stable. However, it should be used in icings and cakes where the recipe contains a large percentage of sugar. For home use, it can be found under the brand names Alpine Hi-Ratio Shortening or Sweetex.

I hope this can help you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

stsapph Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:15am
post #17 of 29

The Well Dressed Cake Swiss Meringue Buttercream is the one I swear by. It's so easy and has great flavor. It's not too sweet and you can easily change the flavor. I also find that I can smooth it easier than other BCs I've tried in the past. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it doesn't take deep colors well, so I have to use a different BC recipe if I want something deeper. Pastels however work great!

ceshell Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:57am
post #18 of 29

Hey the meringue buttercreams didn't get voted in til page two? LOL. I prefer an MBC too. I use Italian Meringue BC, specifically the Mousseline BC from the Cake Bible.

However last week I made a cake for a kids' party; I knew IMBC would not go over well. I used the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe from here. It was very light and fluffy and had a terrific flavor. One of the moms even asked for the recipe, she was so thrilled with it...for those same reasons (she said: "it's so light and fluffy"). There is no whipped cream in in; I think they gave it that name because it's light and fluffy.

Sheesh, I just said light and fluffy three times in a row. Wait--four!

ETA: I used half-butter, half-hi-ratio in the WCBC recipe. I can't say one way or another if it tastes good w/all shortening.

dhccster Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:02am
post #19 of 29

I have been using Deb's Buttercream in the recipe section here. I want to try Indydebi's and IMBC. One day (when I have time) I just want to make all of the popular ones and do a tatse testing. There are so many to choose from!

miss_sweetstory Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:25am
post #20 of 29

I like Swiss Meringue Buttercream, but my family and most friends like doctored Indydebi buttercream (I use 1/2 butter and coffee creamer made in a 1:1 ratio). I only use all shortening when it's really hot and humid.

josumiko Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:46am
post #21 of 29

actually, I don't care for the taste of any buttercreams. They are all too sweet for me, although I have never tried the IMBC or Swiss, but I know that when I make cakes with Pastry Pride for the frosting, all my family and friends prefer it (well except for my 4 year old...nothing is too sweet for him).
As for decorating with, I just tried Indydebi's bc this weekend, and I really enjoyed using it. It was nice and smooth and spreadable, but held up for the decorations wonderfully!

LadyG33 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:31am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleG

also known as cake, icing or high ratio shortening, can absorb more sugar and liquid than regular shortening. It gives a finer and smoother texture to cakes and help keep them moist, as well as keeps icings more stable. However, it should be used in icings and cakes where the recipe contains a large percentage of sugar. For home use, it can be found under the brand names Alpine Hi-Ratio Shortening or Sweetex.

I hope this can help you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I think you explained that great thanks! thumbs_up.gif
Iam glad to see everyone has a different BC they use it helps to narrow down the recipe I want to try next!
Thanks for shareing ladies icon_biggrin.gif

akgirl10 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #23 of 29

I like sugarshack's with half butter, half hi ratio. I also like to use a meringue based buttercream on occasion, but my brother is the only one who really likes it over sugarshack's.

mkolmar Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:27am
post #24 of 29

The Well Dressed Cake Swiss Meringue Buttercream! Love this one. No crisco/high-ratio and it's so silky smooth and easy to work with.

If I need a crusting buttercream I use buttercream dream but with less high-ratio. If I need a chocolate BC I use serious cakes recipe.
I'm going to try IMBC soon since I've heard it's wonderful, but I seriously just love SMBC.

cb_one Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:23pm
post #25 of 29

I use 2 icings

1. IMBC - silky smooth and takes flavoring easy. Love the Chocolate

2. American Buttercream ( butter, 10x sugar, cream , vanilla) Its super sweet but the kids love it!

vickymacd Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:40pm
post #26 of 29

Wow, I'm such a novice, but I stick with Wilton's. It's never failed me. I'm not genius enough to play with everyones recipes.

I have been dying to try Warren Browns Italian Meringue one though.
Anyone tried his?

Rexy Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #27 of 29

Don't know if this belongs here, but...does anyone know if you can make IMBC using meringue powder and not real egg whites?

cb_one Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:30pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy

Don't know if this belongs here, but...does anyone know if you can make IMBC using meringue powder and not real egg whites?

I've never tried it..or seen a recipe that used it for that matter. Doesn't mean it cant be done though.

lostincake Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:57pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0418

...That being said, I found the recipe for Buttercream Dream and doctored it up using Indydebi's addition of Dream Whip and I called it Doctored Buttercream Dream.
It is SOOO good, I could eat it with a spoon!

I personally prefer Buttercream Dream too. It's the first I've used - no other has stacked up so far and it's not too sweet for me - nice balance in flavour and crusts really well.

However, I am intrigued after reading sarah's post and want to try this Doctored Buttercream Dream. Do you use the same amount of Dream Whip that deb's recipe calls for?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%