Cutting Cake

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm by kakeladi

THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 6

I am having a lot of trouble with my cakes! when i watch amazing wedding cakes, ace of cakes or challenge, they cut there cakes perfect. when they slice the cake or cut apart out of it, you don't see crumbs everywhere like you do when you see me cut my cake. i think my cakes are too soft but i use a box mix can anyone help? how do i make my cake more stable?

5 replies
JanH Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 6

Your cakes aren't too soft, your knife is not sharp
(you're actually squashing the cake resulting in crumbs).

Illustrated guide to cutting perfect cake slices by indydebi:
(Much easier than the Wilton method.)

THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 6

That's the problem?!!! I have been going crazy trying to fix the problem, and all I needed was a sharp knife. I feel silly. So box mix cakes are sturdy enough to stack?

JanH Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, they are. icon_smile.gif

It's the job of the cake support system to hold the cake tiers/structure upright - not the cakes themselves.

Everything you ever wanted to know to bake, assemble and decorate your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

Above has illustrated and detailed instructions on the various cake support systems.... Also has popular CC b/c and fondant recipes as well as doctored mix recipes (WASC).

THECAKEPLACE Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how much you have helped me!!

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 6

Listen to hericon_smile.gif Jan knows what she it talking abouticon_smile.gif Those are very good links.

Quote by @%username% on %date%