Cream Cheese Icing And Fondant Don't Mix???

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 2:24am by Rylan

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 30

I have made cakes with fondant over cream cheese icing without a problem. I have been reading the CC topics and somewhere it said they don't mix. I need to find out if I just got lucky. My moms 50th is comming up and she wants cccovered with mmf. Please Help!!!

29 replies
dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 30

I use the crusting cream cheese icing recipe from here and cover it in mm fondant all the time...... Never any problems....

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 30

I also use cream cheese icing under fondant and have never had problems.

Exactly what would the problem be (what do the other threads say)?

candylandy7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candylandy7 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 30

Last week I frosted a cake with a whipped cream/cream cheese frosting and then decorated with fondant accents, and within a couple hours the sugar and dye from the fondant started "melting" and I had this sticky goo start to bleed out onto the icing. I had never accented with fondant on anything other than buttercream so I didn't know this would happen. I was pretty disappointed with the look, but it didn't affect the taste at all.

Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 30

I can see how a whipped cream frosting would cause problems if you did not keep the cake refrigerated.

candylandy7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candylandy7 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 30

That's what I thought too, but I did keep the cake refrigerated and it still ran.

Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 30

Yikes... icon_sad.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 30

Hi,
I use Butter Cream Cheese under fondant, and have never had a problem. We live where heat and humidity are a way of life, so I keep the temperature turned on the cool side.
I started making Toba Garrett's fondant last year. I still use Satin Ice for Black and Red.

-Debbie B. icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 30

I read that the fondant will turn to goo. IDK, I am nervous enough about the cake as me mom is, what is the word??, particular. I think this cake is weird enough without it turning to goo. I am worried about the humidity and heat. She wants an out door function the end of July.

DebBTX any more suggestions? Where do I get Toba garrets fondant?

thanks for all your help. This cake is stressing me out more than any cake I have ever made and it is only February!

DebBTX Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 30

Hi,
To be honest, I wouldn't use a real butter or cream cheese based frosting for an outdoor event in hot and humid weather. They not only would soften quickly, but you would run the risk of the frosting reaching an unsafe temperature.

I have only used the Butter Cream cheese indoors (with the A/C running).

I did use the real Butter Cream cheese under the fondant for my daughter's July wedding, but we made sure the room temps were almost cold. It almost felt like winter in the vehicle we delivered with. icon_lol.gif

I got the recipe to make Toba Garrett's fondant out of one of her books. I believe it was the Professional Cake Decorating edition. I have made it in several different flavors. It really isn't hard.

You will need to do what you are comfortable with, so you can enjoy the process.

-Debbie B.

DebBTX Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 30

I was thinking...

Would your mother mind if you displayed and served the cake from a pretty indoor area, even though the actual party is outside?

Or perhaps, if it is a small cake, bring it out of the A/C to the outdoors only when you are ready to present it to her. She could blow out her candles, it could be cut and served immediately, and all would be well.

Or is she wanting the cake to be outdoors the entire time?

-Debbie B.

jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:13am
post #12 of 30

oh, my bad! It is her anniversary. She wants to celebrate it big and dad wants to take a nap! LOL He had a reception once and feels she should be happy with that. I think we have got her convinced to have the cake and food in her garden patio/porch. It is enclosed and looks out on the water fall. We can put in a window AC unit to cool the heck out of it. The cake going bad does not gross me out as much as having the cold cuts and cheese outside. Next, we are trying to change the venue to have more room and comfort for all.

I'll look for Toba Garrets book.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I am stressing. She has called 17 times today to talk about the cake.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #13 of 30

how long can the fondanted cake with cream cheese frosting last in RT, from the time we've completed the fondant? in other words, how long can we display the cake before we cut & eat it?

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:28am
post #14 of 30

I just did one this week using a crusting cream cheese and it was OK...but it was definitely gooey-er than a regular BC as far as applying the fondant. I would say it should be in the fridge for sure though.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #15 of 30

I have my first one to do this weekend...oh boy...

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:46am
post #16 of 30

Also I would say to make sure the layer of icing is pretty thin on the cake or it will be slippery if it isnt super cold.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #17 of 30

If I'm not mistaken, Toba Garrett's fondant recipe is on this site - I believe I have it in my favorites. I haven't figured out how to do links or I would link you to it. Just use the search feature in the recipe section.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:19am
post #18 of 30

I thought one of the problems with refrigerating a fondant-covered cake is that it would turn the fondant to goo. Maybe it wasn't the cream-cheese icing/fondant mix that was the problem when you refrigerated the cake, but the fact that the fondant shouldn't have been refrigerated at all. I'm from Texas and I've managed to live in several places that are even hotter and humider than that. You can never have too much A/C potential!

Cakepro Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #19 of 30

Of course you can refrigerate fondant.

Otherwise, bakeries and bakers would be extremely hard pressed to do fondant-covered cakes with perishable fillings and icings!

Marianna46 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 1:43am
post #20 of 30

Good point, Cakepro. I should have thought before I opened my mouth. It's great to hear from one of my own (a Houstonian, I mean, although I've been gone for a long time). But, seriously, haven't I read in more than one place here that a fondant-covered cake shouldn't be refrigerated? I'm not trying to be stubborn, I'm just confused icon_confused.gif .

Cakepro Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:20am
post #21 of 30

Hello former Houstonian! icon_smile.gif I bet you don't miss the traffic here. icon_wink.gif

You know, for every person that absolutely swears by something, there is a person who says to never, ever do that, so I'm sure you have read posts by people who say fondant-covered cakes should not be refrigerated. However, they are wrong. LOL icon_biggrin.gif Teehee

I refrigerate my fondant-covered cakes and have never had a problem (knock on wood).

jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:42am
post #22 of 30

thanks for everyones help and support! I will try to make one this weekend and see how it goes. Just a 6 inch plain jane. This cake has got me stressed! I almost made a cake this week for one due in MARCH. I am so glad to have CC to help get me together! I have redone my order set up at work and what little I do at home, got a jungle cake planned, and feel confident i can get this cake done too! Thanks again everyone!

rockysmom make sure you post pics and send feedback on how things go!

Marianna46 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:59am
post #23 of 30

Hey, Cakepro! I only really found out what traffic was when I moved to Mexico City. I'm itching to get out of here -- and I will in a couple of years when I retire to Cancún where my daughters live. When I move there, I plan to turn this hobby into a business, so I'm anxious to learn everything I can. It's so great to have everybody's experience to draw on. It hadn't occurred to me before, but I think I'll give the cream cheese/fondant combination a try. The more we all talk about it the more enticing the combination sounds!

Lee1949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee1949 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 6:48pm
post #24 of 30

icon_cry.gif Help! I have a cake order for red velvet w/cream cheese icing fill. The gal wants the outter icing black and white. I want to use the same cream cheese as for the fill but can't seem to get it black. Plus the icing is not crusting over. AT ALL

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1949

icon_cry.gif Help! I have a cake order for red velvet w/cream cheese icing fill. The gal wants the outter icing black and white. I want to use the same cream cheese as for the fill but can't seem to get it black. Plus the icing is not crusting over. AT ALL

Just keep adding black. It take A LOT of black. What recipe do you use? That may be the cause of the crusting problem.

Lee1949 Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #26 of 30

Rylan, first , thank you for replying. I got this recipe from someone at cake central. 8 oz cream ch, 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 c shortening, 1 tsp vanilla, dash salt, 1 T milk, 1 1/2 - 2 T powdered sugar. At that point the icing was great. Then as I began to add Wiltom black paste it started to thin the icing and then the icing started to seperate. I then added another 1/2 c shortening and another T powdered sugar along with a T of merangue powder.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1949

Rylan, first , thank you for replying. I got this recipe from someone at cake central. 8 oz cream ch, 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 c shortening, 1 tsp vanilla, dash salt, 1 T milk, 1 1/2 - 2 T powdered sugar. At that point the icing was great. Then as I began to add Wiltom black paste it started to thin the icing and then the icing started to seperate. I then added another 1/2 c shortening and another T powdered sugar along with a T of merangue powder.

T of powdered sugar? Shouldn't it be in cups? To get a thicker frosting, and "crustier", add more 10X. Wilton has all that info on their site with their recipes- for thinner icing add more milk, for thicker icing add more 10X.

Rylan Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #28 of 30

I really don't think that would crust. I suggest you use that for a filling and use a different recipe for icing the whole cake.

Go do designmeacake.com and try out her cream cheese crusting buttercream recipe. It's great for filling and icing.

Lee1949 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 12:42am
post #29 of 30

Rylan, icon_smile.gif thanx again for your help. I will check it out. Do you know if that recipe can be color tinted?

Rylan Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #30 of 30

No problem. Oh yes, it takes the food gel colors very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%