Kit Kat Barrel Cake

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 4:57pm by Teekakes

cakes22 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
Looking for help: I want to do a Kit Kat Barrel cake, just wondering if the cake is iced or are the KK's just placed around the cake? Any help would be great.
TIA [/img]

4 replies
chilz822 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 5

The cake is iced and the kitkats stick on the icing. The ribbon helps hold them in place. If there were no icing, the kitkats would just fall right off when the ribbon comes off.

You'll love this cake, it's fun and gets a lot of 'wows'.

icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 5

Yep what chilz822 said. You need the icing to keep the KitKats upright and for taste to the cake once served.

kbak37 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 5

I recently did my first one and took it to work..coworkers were fascinated! I just giggled because it was so easy! I iced the cake in IMBC and put the kitcats on...they stuck beautifully.
Some people made the mistake of sticking their hand in the top thinking it was a candy bowl. It was pretty comical!

Teekakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 5

I have made several of these jCandy Cakes just recently, they are enjoyable to create!
Anyway, I frost the cake as usual with buttercream and let it crust. Before placing a kit kat on I lightly mist a section of the cake with vodka. Misting the crusted buttercream with vodka causes the kit kats to stick really well and stay put!
Another tip for you is to use a very sharp thin bladed long knife to separate your kit kats with. If you try using a standard steak type knife it is likely to not give you a clean cut. Have fun! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%