Black Frosting/fondant??

Decorating By tjrobin31 Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 8:13pm by tjrobin31

tjrobin31 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:17am
post #1 of 8

how do i get my frosting black?
with fondant i'm thinking it may be easier just to buy it black, but with my buttercream there must be a way and who better to ask then the cc'ers,
everytime i try black it looks more like purple, no matter how much color i use
any suggestions would be appreciated

7 replies
Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:20am
post #2 of 8

Start with dark chocolate buttercream or chocolate fondant and it won't take near as much color to get your icing a deep, jet black. I use Satin Ice dark chocolate fondant and Americolor Super Black and get lovely results every time. icon_smile.gif

milissasmom Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:28am
post #3 of 8

I use Satin Ice Black (UNLESS, I am doing a cake that needs a chocolate flavored fondant then I use the Satin Ice Chocolate and add black to it) since chocolate doesnt go with all of my cake flavors. I would totally try the satin ice black (vanilla flavor)...its yummy. I dont' have any suggestions on how to get black BC....good luck!!

gr8_seamstress Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:37am
post #4 of 8

The way to get black buttercream is to use chocolate buttercream, then color black. You will use less black color because the buttercream is already dark.
I would buy black fondant. It takes alot of color to get black.

sayhellojana Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:03am
post #5 of 8

I agree w/ starting out with a Chocolate base it is very helpful. One other thing I read here on CC was to save icing scraps from other projects (freeze so nothing gets old) and mix all the leftover colors. It doesn't really matter what yucky shade they end up - its still helpful in getting black.

Bluehue Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:18am
post #6 of 8

Are you able to buy the Renshaw Regalice In the USA?
Thankfully one of my suppliers inports it in to Ausatralia and i haven't had to worry about mixing this and that to get true colours.
It is brillante and truely jet black
I used it a few weeks ago to do a 3 tier black and white cake and was thrilled with it - also the colours don't stain your hands for 3 days icon_rolleyes.gif hands wash up a treat in cold water with a tad of soap.

Have included Renshaw link to show you

People were amazed at just how *jet black* it was.
Very silky smooth to roll and use.
When Renshaw say - jet black - it is and when they say *poppy red* it is - not that wishy washy orangey red that some companies put out.

tiggy2 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 8

Chefmaster liqua gel is the best coloring I have found for red and black. It is concentrated so it takes very little compared to other brands. You get jet black and bright red instantly. No need to let it set to intensify or start with another color first. I get it locally but you can find is online if you do a google search.

tjrobin31 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 8

thanks everyone once agian for all the great advice,
i really don't know how i did it before i found this site
everyone is soo helpful
and the help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%