Shipping Cake Balls??

Decorating By lindambc Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 6:14am by lindambc

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 5:17am
post #1 of 10

Has anyone attempted this? Did it work? How did you do it?

Thanks...

9 replies
Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:30am
post #2 of 10

I just made some last week and shipped them to my DD in college. They went from Mississippi to South Carolina. I was worried about the chocolate melting because the temperatures were kind of high for this time of year. I made her red velvet cake balls with buttercream icing and oreo cookie balls with cream cheese. They were both dipped in melted chocolate chips with a little bit of Crisco. I had them in the freezer and wrapped them in tissue paper and then put them in ziplock bags. I had them in a box with several other items and I had everything in individual bags in case anything melted. She said they got there just fine and that nothing was melted. I did stuff the box with crumpled up tissue paper so things would not shift around. I sent it priority mail and had them stamp the box fragile. She got them in 2 days. I would not try it in the summer.

lindambc Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 10

OHH! Margieluvstobake! Thank you so much for responding!

My DH works for a company out of Kansas City and wants to send some to the girls in the home office. We are in Southern California, was a bit worried about them melting. But if we do it soon before it warms up I think we should be good!

The oreo cookie cake balls sound yummy, did you just make cake with crushed oreos in them?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 10

lindambc,
grind a whole pkg of oreo's in your food processor. mix in an 8oz pkg of cream cheese, roll into balls and dip in chocolate with a touch of crisco.

They are soooo good, better than any cake balls I've tried so far.
(I've also done with with Nutter Butters with great results)

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 10

Both the oreo and nutter butter cookie balls sound yummy. Mind sharing the chocolate chip to crisco ratio you used? TIA icon_biggrin.gif

chilz822 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 10

honestly, I don't have a set ratio, I usually just put a small blob in with each melt. I use plain ol' WalMart almond Bark, I melt half of the entire block at a time (6 squares) and usually will eyeball about a teaspoon crisco in with it.

Trust me, these are to die for, I really like them in white chocolate!
icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:58am
post #7 of 10

I just shipped cake balls (okay they were molded in the lil hearts.. but the same thing) from Orlando to my DBF in Seattle. Shipped great! I did priority mail and just made sure they didn't move around alot in the box!

good luck

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:26am
post #8 of 10

I got my recipes off the bakerella.com website. As Chilz822 says, they are just ground up oreos with the 8 oz package of softened cream cheese mixed in. There is no cake in them. The oreo cookies cake balls are the best I have had. I also melt a 12 oz pkg of chocolate chips with maybe a teaspoon or 2 of Crisco. It makes the chocolate smoother and I think makes the balls shinier when set. You've just got to try them. I'm not a peanut butter fan, so I haven't made the nutter butter ones. If you go to the bakerella website, type "cake pops" in the search box (without the "). Scroll all the way down til you get to the Christmas ones. They are the cutest thing I have seen in a while. Just can't wait til next Christmas to try them.

chilz822 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:31am
post #9 of 10

I think I'm going to try them with some of the new Golden Oreo's, bet they're just as yummy!

lindambc Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:14am
post #10 of 10

Thank You for all the info! The oreo balls sound tasty, so do the nutter butter ones! Gonna have to try those!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%