If You Need The Thanksgiving Turkey Cake Instructions....

Decorating By khoudek Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 1:35am by khoudek

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:28am
post #1 of 9

I had put out a request for them awhile back as I misplaced mine that I had saved. Alas, Shirley had accidently deleted hers and no one else seemed to have them. I finally found mine this past weekend while cleaning out some stuff so thought I'd post them in case someone else would like them.

Need to bake the following:
1 9x13 cake
1 half egg (the large one) cake
8 mini egg half cakes

start out by putting the 9 x 13 on a regular turkey serving plate for effect but you don't have to! Place your large egg shaped cake (round side up) and put on top of the 9 x 13 cake, with icing in between to hold in place. dowel for support. Carve the 9 x 13 to match and blend with the shape of the large egg cake and carve down the large egg a bit to resemble the turkey breasts...save the scrap cake pieces. On the pointy end of the large egg cake, hollow that end out to resemble the cavity of the turkey. On the opposite end carve in a slight vertical indentation to resemble the other end!

Attach two of the mini egg cakes together with icing to make an egg shape and repeat this with the remaining egg cakes; these will be the drumsticks/wings. Attach these to the body, with icing. You'll need to cut away one side of each of these mini eggs to get them nice and close. For the wings attach ice cream cones with icing..you may need to break away pieces of the ice cream cone to get it to sit right. For the drumsticks insert the hollow plastic dowels on an angle.

Once all is in place cover the cake with a thick crumb coat and add extra icing to build up where necessary and to get the desired shape. Let it crust over. Then with tan/brown icing go over the cake with a nice thick layer of icing. Let it crust over, pat with a textured paper towel to get that "skin" look.

Airbrush the cake with brown coloring OR if you don't have an airbrush, just mix color with water and use a spray bottle. Let this dry really good before the next step or you will have a mess!

In a spray bottle mix warm water, Karo syrup and brown coloring and spray the turkey cake lightly!!!!! This gives the wet look. I don't have a ratio of water, syrup and color. It just has to be thin enough to pass thru the spray bottle.

Cut your cake scraps into squares and attach to the cavity with icing to resemlbe the stuffing/dressing. You can make paper frills out of regular paper and slid those on the ends of the drumsticks. Add fondant lettuce leaves around the base if you choose.

8 replies
cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 9

I happen to come across this form and it sounds intersting could you share a picture of the cake for us visual people so I can save it TIA. icon_biggrin.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for posting...I've been wondering how this was done. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesmade4u

I happen to come across this form and it sounds intersting could you share a picture of the cake for us visual people so I can save it TIA. icon_biggrin.gif

If you do a search in the galleries for Turkey Cake you'll find a ton!! Quite popular at Thanksgiving!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesmade4u

Look in khoudek's photos, it's on the first page at the bottom.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks, Karen!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 9

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

YALANTZI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YALANTZI Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:54am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for posting the directions icon_smile.gif I will try to make one this year

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #9 of 9

Your welcome everyone. Hope to see a lot of turkeys this next Thanksgiving!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%